1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Please help me

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by C&L, Feb 24, 2005.

1. C&L

C&L LawnSite Member
    from mn

Wow, great web site!
    I am looking for some advice. I have read most post here and haven’t found the exact answer's I am looking for. I have run a successful landscape business for the last five years. I am in the process of entering the lawn care market. I will be taking my pesticide applicators license test in a few weeks. My plan (which could change after I hear some input) is to buy a used enclosed v-nose drive on, drive off trailer. I would have it professionally stickered up. The thought behind this is that the extra money spent on the trailer is good marketing? I already own Sthil power brooms, weed whackers, chain saw and a blower that see sporadic use in the landscape division. I thought I would buy the trailer, a larger mower (main question) and a trimmer mower (another question). I was thinking of keeping just one or two (any thoughts here) employees busy two to three days a week. I am planning on about 18-25 commercial accounts, maybe some residential.
    What kind of mower should I start with? A new Kubota 60" zero turn, a used walk behind? There is such a huge difference here. I don't want the stuff breaking down all the time. I want to keep my overhead under control. I am looking at 9k to 40k sq ft size accounts. Also I figure our overhead based on gross volume. My early projections on this venture put my overhead around 29% of my gross volume leaving 70% for labor and profit. I figured my fertilizer into my overhead. Does this seem to be concurrent with your businesses? Where do you like to see your net profit? I am looking at bidding around $50. per man hr. I will bid contract, but figure my time do the job based the $50. mark. Sound right?
    I will stop here for now.

I really hope to gain some insight here.

Thanks in advance.

Chad

2. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

If you have the money, cutting that size lawns get a rider and a walk behind and a 21 inch push. That should take care of any problem that should arise. Walk behind for any hills a rider couldn't hold. Also get hydro's not belt drives

3. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

you can charge more for mowing, depends on where the clients are in minnesota. as for machines that also depends on where you are located. i would choose whoever has the closest dealers. 52in. cut has got to be the minimum, for those type pf accounts. trim mower, do you mean 21in, or a larger commercial unit for gates like a 32 or 36. i am located in the west metro. and i seem to be able to get 1.00 to 1.75 dollars an hour. i am not the cheapest on the block. good luck! payup

4. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

This is a big debate amongst landscape companies, including myself. (Riders vs. Walkbehinds) I personally feel that your clientele will determin your needs. I have 100% commercial and do anything from 10acres to 10,000 sq. ft. of turf. My one account that has 10 acres, is a mall. I can actually cut this property just as quickly using 2 48" walkbehinds on velkes than with one 61" ztr and a 48" w/ velke. Plus, on cost factor alone, you can purchase (2) walkbehinds for a little over the average price of a 60"+ ztr. Not to mention the versatility that it gives you. Several companies won't bid on a property unless they can get their large ztr on it. What they don't understand is that it costs them more to opperate that bigger mower per hour than it does a mid mower.
    A two man crew should generate atleast $100k-200k in annual sales. That figures to be $50k per person. Whether that means you have one property or 25, it still should come out the same. Personally, I believe it takes just as much time and effort to sell the larger clients as it does the small residential, only with much less "hand-holding" during the year. Good Luck!

5. C&L

C&L LawnSite Member
    from mn

did you mean per minute? or am i confused?

6. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

yes per minute. :dizzy: