please help , mulch job

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by opher, May 31, 2006.

1. opher

opher LawnSite Member

Here's my problem, we literally just started in the lawn care business last week, we just got our 1st mulch job to quote. This is a neighborhood of $350,000+ homes. The front yard has 6 beds, we estimated 8 hrs of edging,and 3,224 sq. ft. of mulch,the back yard has 2,449 sq. ft. of mulching with minimal edging. The total sq. footage is 5,673 sq. ft. my figures for 3'' of mulch is 52 yds. We were thinking $60 / yd. including edging for a grand total of $3,120. I think they will have a heart attack when they get my quote. My ? to you all is what would you charge. I have not priced out mulch yet, they want double ground dark brown mulch $25.00/yd maybe. Please help me on this one.

What are your thoughts on getting this mulch blown in by one of those mulch trucks, by the way the back yard is only accessable by a wheel barrow or a mulch truck. What are the prices for one of those trucks to blow mulch?

Thanks a million,
  2. rickt

rickt LawnSite Member

Its cheaper to buy the mulch at Lowes/Home Depot, we always buy 2-5 pallets and have them delivered, they unload them off the truck with a forklift.

The mulch we use is $2 a bag, its way cheaper compared to the local nursery's and overpriced lawn centers around here.

Why dont you just charge "double" of what it is going to cost you to buy the mulch, then just calculate how much you want per hour to do it.
  3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

first off make sure your measurments are absolutly perfect. Dont be off here. we charge $105 a yard with edging. then put in a removal/delivery/fuel charge. i would get it from a bulk supplier theyll be able to get you that much mulch delivered to the house for you.
  4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

oh i just saw the mulch blowing thing. theres a place around here that for everything (mulch/delivery/blowing/cleanup) theyll do it for about 50-55 a yard. you just have to prep the bed but just starting out id do all the work and make as much money as possible
  5. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds right. It cost me $24.50 from my supply yard, then I charge $60 a yard. I just got done with a 21 yard job and charged $1,100.00 for everything. Now since you are at 52 yards you can give them a discount for so many yards like bring the price down to $50.00 a yard.

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Price looks good. Dbl ground hardwood is $19 here.
  7. kosty

kosty LawnSite Member

I charge 60 a yard installed and 1 to 1.25 per liner foot for edging
  8. Buckeye Lawncare

Buckeye Lawncare LawnSite Member

I just did a mulching job that I bid at $593.25.
    8 yds mulch@ $24.50/yd + tax
    4hrs edging 16 hrs to mulch@ 19.25/hr

The people gave me a check for $650 (that is a $56.75 tip) and asked me when I was going to be back in the Spring to mulch it again. I told them they would be the first ones on my list. I ended up making $81.25 per yrd. not bad for my first year on my own
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe for you it is, but a bag of mulch contains 2 cubic FEET of mulch.

A cubic yard consists of 3 x 3 x 3 cubic feet, so 27 cubic feet in a yard.
    Find the right mulch guys, they load about 1.2 yards per bucket, so 5 cubes really equals 6... Bags are not generous like that.

So, you need 13.5 bags at 2 dollars each to make one cubic yard.

To ease the pain, lets say 27 bags for 2 cubic yards, 54 dollars for 2 cubic yards of mulch.
    The highest priced mulch costs me 25 dollars / yard, so 50 dollars in comparison but Home Depot's highest priced isn't $2 either.
    Is delivery free? I think not, but I could be wrong... Now you got all these bags to deal with, pallet or not that's a LOT of waste and hauling and slitting them open, then dumping and spreading... After you're done, you still have the bags.
    I can unload, dump and spread 2 cubic yards / hour from my trailer, I tried that bagged crap once, it took over an hour to do 16 bags...
    When I'm done with loaded cubes of mulch, I am done for real: The trailer is empty, go home.

It has been my experience, the more convenient the mulch place, the higher the price - If they're in town, forget it - I have to drive almost to the County line to get my mulch, but at $12.60 a cubic yard, I get 25 dollars for going out there and back. Not the greatest money but $25 to drive and stand around looking stupid for a bit is pretty easy.
    Now if they want designer mulch, that's closer to $22 / cubic yard but still I get my $25 or pay Home Depot 27-28 dollars?