please help my lawn!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by nositting, Jul 25, 2001.

1. nositting

nositting LawnSite Member
    from PA

hi all, i could really use some help -
    i've used the search but couldn't find any posts that really fit my situation...

i live in southwest pennsylvania and was hit by cutworms or army worms pretty hard. i might also have some grub damage. i plan on core aerating in the fall and placing seed in the holes. time consuming yes, but i've had good results with this in the past.
    my questions...

1) what's a good seed to go with and where should i get it?
    2) what fertilizer do you recommend and when to apply (i imagine it'll probably say on the bag i guess)
    3) how good are the scott's products such as a grub control item? call me negative, but i have trouble believing they work all that well if not in a liquid.

ok, i know that's a lot, but i REALLY appreciate any assistance!
    THANK YOU!

2. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

Sorry I'm no expert on fertilizers, but nobody else has responded, so here goes - I can guarantee that some dry products are quite effective, 'cause I killed a bunch of pine trees one year with one handful of pure urea each!
    I used to live in Kansas, where we used a lot of fescue grass - lots of it died, too, so we typically aerated and/or verticutted and overseeded every year. My point is, if you water the new seed quite a bit, it tends to flow into the aerated holes or verticutted slots quite well without having to place them there - my lawn looked like the new grass came up only in the slots. Of course, if you're dealing with a small area, you can save some money by putting the stuff exactly where you want it.

3. Catcher

Catcher LawnSite Member

No expert either by any means, but here's my two cents worth:
    Cruise the neighbourhood for nice looking, healthy lawns; talk to the homeowners and find out what they used and where they got it.
    The other option is, look for a Co-Op or Farm Bureau, make sure they have a certified horticulturist or master-gardener on staff.They can help you much better with products suited for your area, their proper application etc. This year is the first year I have tried this and had great success.
    Good luck

4. JJOHN22042

JJOHN22042 LawnSite Member
    from MA

First you have to get Rid of the Army worms and Grubs. I would go to Lesco and they will have the stuff to help you do this. Then tell them you need starter Fert. and Seed.
    You will pay about the same as Home Depot but they at Lesco Know their stuff.

Good Luck:)