Please Help on blade time of my Echo HC151

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yungman, Feb 13, 2008.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I have an Echo HC151 hedge trimmer and it is not cutting well since brand new. I asked here before and was suggested to looking into the time of the blades. I take that means the synchronization of the two half. I finally have time to open the bottom plate and look at what's going on. I found out that I can take the top gear that control one blade out and change to any position. The original position is

Both blade move at opposition at all time. When one move to one extreme end, the other blade reach the opposit extreme end also. The motion is in such that at one extreme position, the teeth of both blade complete over lapping. When it start moving, it will keep going to one teeth off and completely over lap before it start to reverse direction.

I lift the gear out and change the timing a little, then I start seeing portion of the cycle, both blade move in same direction which I take that is no good.

I conclude that the original timing of the blade was perfect and I put it back as it was.

Am I doing it right? I am running out of ideas why my trimmer don't cut. The blade feels sharp, it is only 5 hours old!!!!
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Take it to where you bought and have them fix it. It has a warranty, use it.
  3. yungman

from Calif.

Crap Depot!!!! two and half years not with five years warrantee!!!! That time I don't even know they have dealers that sell this kind of stuff, I also though Craftsman was the best!!!!!:cry:
  4. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Bring it to an Echo Dealer/Service center...

TOOLSHACK LawnSite Member

Take it to your nearest Echo dealer and ask them to look over the machine. They should be more than happy to help resolve your problem. The commercial warranty has been extended to 2 years on the HC-150 / 151 and SHC 210 / 212 Hedge Trimmers.
  6. yungman

from Calif.

Please anyone can tell me whether I did the timing correct? I would really like to learn instead of bringing it in.
    Many thanks*newusflag*
  7. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Check the gap between blades.
  8. yungman

from Calif.

Snug at 0.007 inch. This is between the two blades

TOOLSHACK LawnSite Member

There are a number of things that could be wrong... but, honestly, without looking at them in person, it'd be nearly impossible to tell you what to do to fix them.

I understand your desire to learn, but if they are under warranty, let the dealer remedy the situation for you. If you're friendly with them, they may be willing to explain, in detail, what was wrong.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think I recall the timing setting.....take the gear case over off and the two cam gears have holes in them. Those holes need to be aligned up over one another. I think you have to take one of the blades off to see if the holes are aligned. There are just two ways to put it together right/wrong and the blades operate but not properly. Maybe someone else can give better discription.