1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Please help quick!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by crc13, Apr 14, 2006.

1. crc13

crc13 LawnSite Member
    from 54313

I have a home that has a huge backyard. The last 100 feet of my yard was left as field grass, the rest I planted kentucky. I am sick of the back being so thick. A guy told me to aerate the heck out of it and plant in kentucky blue grass and eventually it will overtake the other stuff. Does this make sense? I am getting the aerator tomorrow morning.
  2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I think your better off to kill the other grass and reseed. I'm sure some of the other guys here will have some info.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

He's right kill the grass and reseed,if you don't it will be mixed.
  4. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

Kill the grass, till,smooth-out(grade),reseed. How big is the area? If its not that big you could get away with seeding now, but if it is a good size I would wait until fall or your seedlings will be competing with weeds and you will have to redo in the fall anyway.
  5. crc13

crc13 LawnSite Member
    from 54313

it is a pretty big area, I will wait until fall and reseed. ONce I kill the grass (how do you recommend doing this) then what do I do? Till, it up, or just put top soil on it?
  6. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

Kill with glyphosate(active ingredient in round-up), you can find a "knock-off" at a co-op for less and it will work perfect. Get a high % of this ingredient in whatever you buy.

Once the area is killed, till to about 4 inches(adding topsoil won't hurt),let settle a few days or couple rains, grade smooth,add a starter fertilizer, seed, rake in seed lightly (don't cover too deep),roll with an EMPTY roller to establish good seed to soil contact, keep watered frequently until seedlings are about 1-2 inches tall, then water less but deeper.
  7. crc13

crc13 LawnSite Member
    from 54313

what will aerating and adding seed do? What is the difference between crab grass and field grass? I was told I have field grass, but my neighbor says it is crab grass?
  8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I suspect that people may refer to many different types of grass as “field grass”, specifically indigenous types that are not typically used commercially.

Tilling the soil for such a large area probably sounds like a lot of work… uh huh… but after you kill the vegetation on the surface this is something that you really should do. And, here is another step or two that you may want to consider.

If the soil in this area is poor, then bring in some compost or other organic matter to till in. You’ll be tilling the soil anyway… so why not?

Now for another step that may save you some headaches later on. There may be weed seeds in the soil, which the post emergent glyphosate won’t do a whole lot to. So, after you spray and do your tilling and get the area ready for seeding, go ahead and water the area. Weeds will likely pop up, and after they do, go ahead and kill those as well. The fewer weeds you have to deal with coming up in your new grass the better off you’ll be.