Please help Scag or Dixie Chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Danemfg, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Danemfg

Danemfg LawnSite Member
    from VA

I have four plus acres to mow per week, mix of open yard and tree lines. It's either a Scag Tiger Cub 48" ($6,000) or Dixie Chopper X2003-50" ($6,450). I've test drove the Dixie Chopper and liked everything but the tire design and the effects on the grass. I've not driven the Scag but have heard from a friend that they are a good performer. Not being a professional, I would like to hear from those whose use the type of equipment for a living. Which brand would last longer and essentially be a better choice?

Thanks,
    John

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Both are good mowers. You can change the tires on the dixie from chevron bars to turf savers for ~60 bucks a tire. Try test driving the scag. Then you can choose which you liked better.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have the Scag Tiger Cub and Im well pleased with it. I havent ever used a Dixie before so I cant comment on them

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

If you search on Eric ELMs threads you will find that he used a Dixie Chopper. He was by far the absolute best on that machine. His striping of the lawns is legendary. Scag is a machine that cuts grass. You will be able to cut for a long time with both but my preference would be the Dixie.

5. beaver

beaver LawnSite Member

get the scag

6. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I have owned both. No problems on the Scag. Dixie Chopper went through 1 engine, 4 carbs, new spindles, 3 coils, several brake cables, several hundred in belts, 2 new fuel pumps, etc. In less than 2 years. Anyway, I would lean toward Scag.