Please Help ! Sod How Much To Charge

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ramone, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Ramone

Ramone LawnSite Member

I'm Starting A Lawn Service , How Do I Charge To Lay Sod Do I Charge A Flat Rate Or Do I Charge By Square Footage If So What's A Good Square Footage Price For Residential Property

2. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

Are you buying the materials? If so, I'd charge materials + %15 overhead + 38-cents a mile for delivery. For labor, I'd charge $35/hr per person.

I'm a newbie, so someone please shoot holes in my quote.

Thanks,

3. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

personally i charge $50/hr for myself....thats just me though

4. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

Measure sq footage to get material amount,use that figure and multiply it by your mark up with labor included. In turn this is your flat rate you propose to your customer. Use the search tool above this post and type in
    "CHARGE FOR SOD".
    :waving:

5. Bolo9092

Bolo9092 LawnSite Member

I can get a pallet for about $100 and I charge $100 per pallet and that on ly includes laying it not getting everything ready

6. Ramone

Ramone LawnSite Member

I'm prep'n it lay'n it and clean up

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

but your new so i dont know your skill level,.... do you know how to properly prep for sod, if not, you will be doing it over and over... if you do then disregard and good luck....

8. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

That's awesome. I wish I could charge that. I'm lowballin a little on my labor if I'm at the customer's property to do more than one thing. Like this one estimate I gave yesterday, she wants mulch and some flowers planted. I told her 65 a yard (which is low/average for around here) and 25 an hour for the labor for plantin the flowers, plus the cost of the mulch and flowers, but if I was just there for flowers than I woulda charged 35 an hour plus materials. She's an older lady and was referred by a friend who did her mulch last year for 60 a yard so I'm givin her a break on plantin the flowers.

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

that is very reasonable.... you really should try and get more next time then 25, i know you think you have no overhead... but if your still around, 3 years from now you will look back and see what your cost of doing business really was.... really try and go higher next time... if you dont get every job its ok.... you need to find the threashold of pain for these people....

i personaly charge at least 60. but thats whats right for me.... i think you are worth at least 40 per hour, dont you

10. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

Believe me, it's a favor cuz she's old and was referred by a friend. In fact she will probably be the only one cuz I don't want a reputation for being cheap cuz then when people refer other people they will expect a cheap price too.. Just a one time thing. But with that being said, Wow I'll have to feel out my 35 an hour charge for labor cuz you say it's cheap and I know you know what you're talking about Dave. I need a little time to pick up on industry averages around here but I don't think that they are as high as 60 an hr. The buddy who referred this woman to me has a Master's in business and and pretty he's pretty savvy when it comes to crunchin numbers and prices, etc. I'm shocked that he was charging her 60 a yard for mulch. That's just too low. But thanks for the heads up Dave:)