Please Help To I.d.??????

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cenlo, Jul 31, 2007.

1. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

These are photos from a lawn from this morning. It has been sprayed twice with Sevin and Trillion. No insects can be found. Turf disease? It has been hot and humid the past two weeks. Acid, mossy soil with min thatch. Owner waters for about 1- 1 1/2 hours every second day.

100_1426.jpg

100_1430.jpg

100_1431.jpg

100_1432.jpg

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Don't really understand the question. That second photo is fine crabgrass. I think it's too cool in Canada for Bermuda to thrive.

3. cenlo

from Ontario

The pics are all of the same area...the close-ups are pulled from that area. I am trying to determine what's going on so I can repair or fix.

4. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like bentgrass to me.

5. coyoteman

coyoteman LawnSite Member

Pink mold? Have seen some this year with all this wet cool weather.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Agree with Mk roher, I vote for patches of bentgrass--it burns out easily in hot weather. Short roots. Also disease prone.
    However--be sure it is not a dry spot--sprinklers not covering evenly. Dig down into soil to see how deep until you hit moist soil.

Red thread disease is very common, of course.

One more thing--is the pattern an arc? If so, potentially a fert burn. Rotary spreader. Chck for excess of sulfer coated urea in the area.

Seed head indicates some poa in the area.

7. cenlo

from Ontario

If it is bent grass....will it return to normal as soon as cooler weather prevails?

8. turfnh2oman

turfnh2oman LawnSite Member

Is it bentgrass or bluegrass ? Looks like red thread / pink patch but a couple of things will rule that out. Hot and dry, forget it. However the flooding of water for an hour and a half and cooler mornings (50's or so) might bring it on. There not being any distinction of a "patch" leads me away from pink patch though which generally goes hand in hand wth red thread.
    From an irrigation standpoint hasn't this guy ever heard that 3 - 30 minutes are better than 1 - 90 minute watering ?

9. cenlo

from Ontario

It seems to be on bent grass and blue grass. If it happens to be red thread (or another turf disese) does it need control or will it rebound? Two weeks ago we had a cool week of 60's and 70's....then the last two weeks of 80's and 90's (if that helps) Not sure if it started 2 or 3 weeks ago.

B.t.w. Thanks for the help!

10. cenlo

from Ontario

The longer the watering the deeper the roots.......no? But it should be every 4-5 days.