Please help with Briggs engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tpsball, Jul 5, 2005.

1. tpsball

tpsball LawnSite Member
    from ny

I have a briggs 20 hp v-twin vanguard model #351777, type 1044e2. I was changing the oil and totally broke the base where the oil plug is. There is a 4" metal nipple that screws into the base for easy oil removal and somehow that broke at the threads and wiped out the base. No way to thread the nipple back into the base. Anybody have any suggestions where to find a new or used base for this engine? or part # thanks
  2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Man, I wish I could help. There'll be a mechanic that sees this and will help. I just wanted to add, this is the reason I keep basket case engines around. You wouldn't believe how many times they've saved my butt.
    I had a friend who broke a part on his car engine that was under high torgue, just a small corner. He had to replace the block. I hope there's a simpler answer for you.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well the part# for a new sump is 808846 and it comes as a kit with the gasket and crank seal and a couple other parts. Really don't know if you will find a used replacement but, Good Luck !

Btw, Always put a small pipe wrench on the pipe before removing the cap.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Just got to work and checked the price on the sump kit, Suggested list is 104. and change !
  5. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

After cleaning it real well, I guess you could try cementing it back in with JB Weld.