1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Please Help With Deck Problem!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chuskey, Apr 4, 2005.

1. chuskey

chuskey LawnSite Member
    from NC

I was changing the blades on my Hustler 48" walkbehind this afternoon and the blade saddle came off with the middle blade. What could have caused this and what should be done to fix it? Should I attempt to fix it, or take it on to the shop. Also the small metal "key" came off with it as well. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

BTW This is the first time I've taken the blades off since I greased the deck spindle housing. Could that have had anything to do with it?
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There is nothing wrong with your mower, that saddle is made to slide off, in fact your others should come off as well with just a little tug on them.
    The saddles are also trash guards, they stop twine and such items from getting to your lower spindle bearing.
    When re-installing them, put a light coat of anti seize on them.
    Also be careful when removing the blades in the future, when that saddle comes off, and your under the mower, it could thump ya, and it hurts, those saddles are not light.
    All you need to do is put the key back on the spindle shaft, in the slot and slide the blade saddle back on, hold it there and put your blade and bolt and washer on, tighten to spec and your all set.
    Just make sure you get the key lined up and in the slots, you can verify this through the bottom of the blade saddle, there is a notch where you see it.
    Hope this helps