Please help with Exmark problem

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Bad Influence, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Bad Influence

Bad Influence LawnSite Member

This is my 1st post and I hope someone can help me. I have a 60" Exmark Lazer Z with a CH22 Kohler Command motor. My friend gave me this mower 5 years ago and it was working like a champ. Started the mowing season in spring and everything was fine. (This is for my own personal use and I am not a landscaper). Come June, I go out to mow the lawn and I turn the key and nothing. No sound, no motor trying to turn over, nothing. I though it might be the ignition key switch because after about 5 minutes of off/on, the mower turned and started like nothing happened?

A month later (hot summer and no reason to mow) I go out and same thing, nothing. I replace the key ignition switch and the same thing, nothing. I replace the 12V solinoid switch and nothing. I tried to start the mower from a car battery directly to the starter and the starter did not move. So I replaced the starter and solinoid.

Here is the crazy part. Wednesday, I replaced the starter and charged the battery. I tested the starter (just to make sure the motor is not seized) from car battery and the motor was turning. So I charged the battery some more and turned the key and it started. WOW. Hopefully fixed!!!

Last night, I tried to mow the rest of my lawn and nothing. No sound, no motor turning over, no nothing????? I also tried jump starting just to make sure the battery was not completely dead and when I turned the key, nothing??? WTF.

I have voltage in the battery. The pos batt cabel is good because when I tested the neg batt to the pos solinoid switch (cable runs from pos batt to the sol switch) and have the same voltage as me testing the battery (pos and neg). What could it be.

Here is another issue I do not understand. I voltage tested the neg batt to the other side of the solinoid switch (cable leads to starter) and no voltage. Now I'm not sure if I should get voltage.

Can anyone help me. I hope I'm not too confusing

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Bad Influence,

I can't help you.....But I know someone who can. I've forwarded your message on to our Customer Service Reps. We should be able to get back to you in about a week. In the mean time, I would go talk to you closest Exmark dealer and see what they think the fix might be. Also, our Customer Service Reps can be reached at 1-800-667-5296.

Casey

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

you have a safety switch that is randomly failing. i can't believe no one here has told you that yet...well, maybe.

check the connection near the parking brake/control levers. i think they still have the seat switch and the mercury tilt switch for roll overs. check those too. if you have replaced all of the things you mention, it's gonna be a safety switch somewhere. pm me if you need anymore help. been there done that before.

4. Bad Influence

Bad Influence LawnSite Member

I started the mower this weekend with jumper cables directly to the starter(had to mow the lawn). When I pushed on the seat, the mower started so I think the seat safety is okay. I'll check what you said and if i have any questiions, I will def hit you back.

Thanks.

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, could be anything from a loose connection, pinched wire, corroded contact or a bad switch failing intermittently.

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Bad Influence,

Sorry for the delay getting to you. Just as a note to everyone, this forum is great, but if you have an immediate need, please contact us. From March-October the Svc Dept is extremely busy (aren't we all), and to be honest, this forum unfortunately becomes a secondary priority to phone calls, service@exmark.com emails, etc...

I'm going to guess that you have a machine with a S/N below 260,000. If so, I doubt that it's a switch failing, most likely a poor connection. Of all the connections, my money would be on your ground at the engine being loose or poor. If not there, then I would look at your motion control switch connectors (you'll love me for that one!).

Let us know.

Thanks,
    Lenny

7. Z2000

Z2000 LawnSite Member

I had almost this EXACT problem a month ago, and it was the PTO switch. I have a SN of 260,000+. Intermittant starting, dead, no response, and etc....

I just got lucky because mine stated acting up while mowing, and for some reason I jiggled the PTO switch and it died. Then I could not start it, until I jiggled the switch. It would hit, try to start, then go dead (because the switch was open, it is a NC "normally closed" switch). I removed the switch, ohmed through, and it did not have continuity when closed so that confirmed what I knew to be true.

I just replaced it, and BAM, works like a champ. Pluse I got a sweet matching red one, no more yellow! :)