Please help with Exmark start problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Bad Influence, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Bad Influence

Bad Influence LawnSite Member

I need help with a very strang problem. I have a 60" Exmark Lazer Z with a CH22 Kohler Commantd motor. This mower is strickly used for my house. My friend gave me this mower 5 years ago without any issues until now.

Spring time it was working fine. Sometime around June I went to mow and nothing happened. No sound, no motor turn over nothing. I thought it was the key ignition beause after 5-10 minutes of off/on with the key, the mower started like nothing happened.

Month later (hot summer and no need to mow) and went out and same thing. No turn over, no start, no sound. I replaced the key ignition switch and same, nothing. I replaced the 12V solinoid switch and same, nothing. I tested the starter by using batt cables from car to starter and nothing from the starter. So I replaced the starter w/ solinoid.

Wednesday after installing starter, I tired again and nothing. Maybe the batt is dead so I jumped batt from car and and nothing. Tested the new starter(direct pos batt cable from car) just to make sure motor was not seized and motor almost turned over. So I charged batt some more and then turned key and mower started. WOW, I thought everything was fixed.

Went out last night and again nothing. I was thinking probably batt is dead so I tried jumping batt again (just to finish the lawn and then I can replace the batt) and again, nothing. No sound no turn over?????

Tested batt with voltage meter and I have juice. Tested batt pos cable (neg to pos solinoid switch) and same voltage. Now I tested opposite side of solinoid switch (small pos cable runs to solinoid/starter) and I get no voltage. Now I'm not sure if I should get voltage since I'm running vol meter from neg batt to other side of solinoid switch??? Like I said above, I get juice from neg batt to sol switch (bypassing pos batt cable).

What the heck is wrong? Any input would be greatly appriciated. I hope my story is not too confusing.

Thanks.

2. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I found your post a little confusing, but it might just be me.:dizzy: Have you checked the safety switchs? Your operator manual should give you the process to check them. If nothing else, you might want to bypass them to see if that is the problem.

Eric D

3. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't overlook a bad engine ground.

Take you DMM. Set it to DCV

Black lead - negative battery post

Red lead - somewhere on the engine block

Attempt to start the engine.

If you have positive voltage, you've got a bad ground. If not, well..... Good luck!

Q

4. Bad Influence

Bad Influence LawnSite Member

I understand everything except......."If you have positive voltage, you've got a bad ground".

What should it read if the ground is good? Nothing?

5. JimQ

On a system that is working right...Yes, it will read nothing.... or a few millivolts.

This is assuming:

You have 12+ volts big post on the starter ssolenoid all the time.

and

You have 12+ volts to the smaller terminal on the starter solenoid when you turn the key.

Q

6. JimQ

Look at it this way...

You said you have 12+ V to the large terminal on the starter.

SO...

Jump 12+ to the small terminal on the solenoid.

Does it crank?

If yes - Look upstream
    Seat switch
    Brake switch
    Steering Lever Switches
    PTO Switch
    Ignition Switch
    Interlock Relay/Relays - Not sure is eXmark uses them
    etc...

If No - Look downstream
    Bad engine ground

7. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

:hammerhead: have you checked your safety switches

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Does your machine have relays?
    If so, time to buy a spare, then you can troubleshoot these by replacing one at a time.
    They're not cheap, but I find having an extra relay (or 2) sitting around saves my day everytime, I can test car and truck and every other relay with it, afaik they're all the same but do check and don't assume.

9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I bought some new relays for my Exmark from the parts store now all my safety switches are backwords yet the parts guy said he thought they were the same. So now I have to wait till monday to order relays and have them sent to me, what a drag but the mower won't start, and went dead. Everything else looks good , have never changed relays on this machine so hoping that will do it.