PLease help with grass ID

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CRUZMISL, Aug 13, 2006.

1. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

HI All,
    I have a few decent size patches of this stuff and I'm looking for the best way to get rid of it. The grass is green but very soft, almost puffy and literally has no root structure. If you grab a handful I can easily pull it up. I have been pulling up patches, up to the good KBG and then reseeding but I'm wondering if there is a better way.

I was thinking of putting up with it for now and then use some glyco to kill it all and then slit seeding in the fall. Anyone know what it is and the best way to deal with it? Here are some pics.

I truly appreciate any help.
    Joe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

looks like bentgrass, like the kind used on golfcourses, but it is supposed to be cut much much lower to look nice. I find it pretty common on older lawns around here (also zone 6). Very little roots holding it down and gets matted up and then dies in little patches like in the brown place in the one pic.

Ive heard it's very hard to get rid of, even though its easy to remove or kill the top, you can reseed the area and it will just reappear again later. a lot like bermuda in that respect.

Could also be a type of bermuda, Iv'e always called it "velvet bermuda" It's very soft and dosn't spread nearly as fast as standard bermuda. It too can be ripped up easily, dies in little patches from getting matted down and is rather hard to kill because it grows so slowly...

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

oops, double post

4. mikeylees lawn care

mikeylees lawn care LawnSite Member

I agree. It looks like bentgrass, which can be a nice looking turf grass when treated and mowed properly, but aggrivating to get rid of.

Your best bet is to use the glyco, but I would then turn the soil and patch sod that area rather than slit seeding.

Good luck.