Please Help with I.D.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GripB, Aug 11, 2006.

1. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Not sure what these patches are; they started to appear around 3-4 weeks ago. It's been very hot and humid and we havn't had a good soaking rain in about a month.

I've been on a good yearly program using all Lesco stuff including Merit and Talstar. I've puilled on the turf in and around these areas and it is all good and rooted (no grubs). Also, I don't see any bugs or have little moths flying up when I mow.

I hope that's enough information for you guys to help me. It sucks, because my lawn has looked great since I planted it all 6 years ago, and now what the *#@! :mad:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Brown Patch-1A.jpg
  2. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Another picture

Brown Patch-2A.jpg
  3. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i've had trouble with a couple lawns this year too. diseases are all over the place here. dollar spot and brown patch seem to be hitting most lawns. from what i've been told the only thing you can do when it has gotten that bad is rake it up, aerate to get rid of thatch that might have been helping the disease germinate, reseed with newer grass seed, and then do the usual cultural practices correctly (mow high, 1/3 rule, water in morning, use slow release nitrogen products).

i try to stay away from fungicides, but i'm sure others will tell you to put down a curative fungicide to stop it from spreading and maybe a preventative next summer.

my opinion, aerate, compost topdress, manage your lawn correctly and you won't have a problem.
  4. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking brown patch also, but was not sure. Just outta curiosity, what preventative are you referring to?
    Thanks again.
  5. lush&green

lush&green LawnSite Member

Sod webworm?? having the same problem here and thats what I find.
  6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Certainly it is not a disease or insect poroblem. It is a "non-pest" problem. Probably different culitivars of turfgrasses. We are seeing here in the Midwest also.

Stress factors come into place in the summer when cool-season grasses go dormant or die.

What to do: aerate & overseed the heck out of the problem areas this fall.

"Chemicals" are not the long-term solution.

New & improved cultivars are available. Disease resistant and more durability.

Best time to seed sunny areas = fall (late August through December).
  7. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

check for nematodes.

Since you can't see nematode damage directly (without using a shovel!), you need to rely on visible symptoms including wilting during the warmest period of the day, chlorosis, stunted growth, and general lack of vigor. If damage is confined to the plant's water delivery system, you may only notice wilting on hot days, with the plant returning to normal once temperatures have cooled.
  8. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Based on the majority of the replies (thanks by the way) I should aerate and overseed especially in my problem areas. Is this correct?

Overseeding Question: I did my lawn 6 years ago using Lesco's 50/50 rye/blue. Can I introduce/overseed with a Lesco fescue (that will blend in eventually) and not stand out? (I wish I didn't use rye initially)
  9. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

It could also just be good ol fashion burn. Sometimes even an irrigated lawn will burn on a hot day. Also probe the soil in these spots, try to push a pocket knife or screwdriver into the brown spots. Sometimes you can only push it in less than an inch and then you hit ground hard as a rock and cant push it in any further.
    Then try the same thing in a still green area and the knife will sink to the hilt.
    Then you know you have an isolated dry spot.
    When a lawn like this is watered, the water will not percolate in the compact areas and it sloughs off and is percolated into the softter areas.
    Alot of lawn like this are mis diagnosed as disease.
    This is a particularly frustrating problem to explain to most customers because their immediate reaction is "I water!" Well we are not saying the lawn hasn't been watered just that these are dry spots. Then you usually hear "I'll show you a 200 dollar water bill" Well the amount of water thrown does not equate to the amount of water absorbed.
    I had one customer who after trying to explain all this patiently said, "I dont care I pay you good money to spray my lawn and I want you to spray "something on it to make it better". So I went to my truck and got my hand can I used for spot treating weeds and sprayed some weed control on the spot. I then told the customer that this stuff would work wonders but in order for it to work he would have to really soak it in. He should bring the hose out and lay it on the spot and just let it trickle here for an hour or so.
    Next time I was there he says to me "I dont know what that stuff you used was, but it sure worked wonders!"
  10. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

My guess is Summer Patch has taken out areas of bluegrass.

I would definitely overseed with TTTF @ 6-8 lbs/1000 sqft. It will blend in with the still-healthy blue & rye in your lawn. Although these dead spots will probably come in heavy with fescue only..... I'll trade green patches of grass with a slightly different texture over brown patches any day.

Over time, and with annual TTTF overseeding you'll forget you ever had a Summer Patch problem.