PLEASE HELP with Jap. beetles

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GripB, Jul 15, 2005.

1. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

I had Merit applied about 4 weeks ago. I’m now seeing a lot of Japanese beetles on my cherry, jap. maple and crab apple trees. I bought a bottle of Sevin and intend on spraying the trees. Is this correct and/or should I do things differently now and in the future?
    Thanks in advance for the advice/help!

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Sevin will kill them,but you'll have to re apply often.Ortho makes a systematic insecticide that works well also.
    Here's the thing.They still have to feed to injest the pesticide before they die,so you're still going to have some damage.
    The Merit you applied will work great for the grubs that are there now as well as the newly hatching grubs.Watch the beetles.They'll feed,breed,and then fly down to the lawn to lay eggs.Even though you've sprayed your own lawn,your neighbors probably haven't,so you'll still get beetles flying over from their lawn to feed on your ornamentals.
    IMHO,you need to get ALL of your neigbors spraying their lawns for the grubs or else,all is in vain concerning your ornamental plants.

3. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Yea I know, that's what really stinks. My neighbors don't care what their lawns (weeds) look like :angry: . It's gonna be an uphill battle, huh?

Oh yeah, why do you have to re-apply the Sevin often? Does it wash off with rain or what. Thanks!

4. NickN

from Alabama

Yes,Sevin washes off.

5. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

I meant to ask you about this before.
    What's the label name and what does "systematic" mean?
    Thanks again for your help!

6. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

The word is systemic -- meaning that it absorbed intot he plant through leaves or rotts and controls pests when they bite into the plant. This is in contrast to contact herbicides thta must stay on the surface of the plant and contact the surface of the insect to control.

7. NickN

from Alabama

8. MikeD520

MikeD520 LawnSite Member

Try Talstar, I have had great results with it for all of our beetle customers. Where are you in southeastern PA?

9. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

I'm 10 minutes west of Downingtown.
    I thought Talstar was used for ants, fleas, ticks, chinch bugs, etc.?

10. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Someone told me today that these friggin’ Jap. beetles dig back into the ground and lay eggs and new grubs feed near the soil surface around the end of August then the new grubs dig down deeper into the soil for winter. If this is true, can I put a second app. of Merit down at the end of August when the new grubs are feeding near the surface?