Please help with my new mower decision???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lithnights, May 16, 2007.

1. lithnights

lithnights LawnSite Member

Hello all. I am hoping you can help a newbie out here. I am looking to buy a new mower. I've read dozens of posts on "what mower to buy" but am hoping someone can give me some advice for my particular situation.

I am a homeowner with 1/2 acre with about 4 or 5 trees/beds to mow around. Nothing crazy. I liked my Gravely 36 walk behind (which just died due to mice making a grass home in the engine over the winter) but I think it would be nicer to have a 48. I know it won't save a crazy amount of time (theoretically 30 instead of 40 minutes) but even 10 minutes each time would be worth the extra money to me.

I am looking at the following..

36" Gravely 13HP wb $2600
    48" Gravely 15HP wb $3000
    44" Quick 16HP wb $3000
    42" John Deere Z225 zero turn 18.5HP $2900

I am strongly leaniing towards the 48" Gravely. Besides the fact that it may have difficulty making it through a gate (which I don't even have.. but will in the near future), what is the drawback of getting a 48 vs. a 36? I can't see any downside besides the cost.

Anything else I should think about before plunking down $2500-3000 on a new mower?

Thanks in advance!

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

IMHO....Go with the Quick 44 .....Its light , easy to control and backed up by a great company. The 16hp KAI engine is a nice bonus and you can throw a step saver on and save yourself the walking.
  3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

48 Gravely hands down no contest. As far as a gate goes if and or when you build a fence just make the gate wide enough for the mower.

Better outdoor products is a great company with great service and a forum sponsor so I will not go any further on this subject.

Only thing I will say is look at the cut quality.
  4. lithnights

Thanks Buckeye. I have read good things about the Quick mowers here on the site. I guess I'm having a tough time with going with a mower with 4" less deck for the same price as the Gravely 48. And the Gravely comes with a striping kit which I'd have to buy extra (or make) if I got the quick 44.

Still much deciding to do. We'll see if anyone else has opinions.

Thanks for the feedback!
  5. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Isn't the GR1548FX belt driven? I have only seen it as a photo on the web, but that's what it looks like. Are you sure that's what you want?
  6. lithnights

Yes it is belt driven. My old 36 was as well and I was OK with that. I did look at the new ones yesterday at a shop and they have a "double belt" setup (much wider belt and only one on each side instead of the two smaller ones) such that it is nearly impossible for it to slip off. As a resident light user, I don't know if I would notice much of a difference with belt driven, would I?

7. LarryF

I guess I'm in the same boat; that is, I too am a resident light user. What caught my eye was your list showing that the Quick 44 and Gravely were the same price and your inference that since the Gravely was a 48", it provided more bang for the buck. That surprised me, since I did a fair amount of research before buying a Quick 36 which I consider to be one of the best lawnmower bargains available. But now that I know the Gravely has only a gear transmission which might have cost the manufacturer about $50 compared to a maybe $500 hydrostatic drive that is in the Quick 44, it reinforces my opinion that the Quick product is still the better bargain and, I think, the better machine. I suspect most LCOs who had bought a Quick product would agree with me.
  8. lithnights

OK, can someone please give me the 30 second overview on why a hydro is preferable to a gear driven? I guess I'm so used to the gears that I don't know the difference.

Assuming hydro is so much preferable, I think I do see your point that at the same price, a Quick with hydro would be preferable to a Gravely with gear.

Also, what is LCO?

9. LarryF

Last question first. Well, in this forum LCO is an acronym for Lawn Care Operation/Operator; that is the guys who mow lawns for a living.

In regard to the first question, it might take more than 30 seconds, but why don't you take the Better Outdoor Products tour.

That seems to cover the topic rather well. It's certainly more informative than what I could come up with.
  10. lithnights

I actually had taken the tour, that is what peaked my interest. Very cool stuff. (Although I'm still not totally sure what difference the hydro will make to a homeowner cutter like myself.) The couple things that concerned me vs. the Gravely were...

only 10 guage vs 7 guage steel deck
    44" not 48"
    Have to hold down the lever to go instead of holding it down to brake. This is pretty important to me after using my neighbor's Troy Bilt (hold down the levers) vs. my Gravely.
    $230 delivery fee
    Lack of service and parts from my local dealer (I am not handy with mowers)
    Much more difficult to change deck height (2 minutes and a wrench vs. 20 seconds)
    $200 extra for a striping kit.. which comes included on the Gravely.
    Quicks are praised on this site, but haven't heard anything about them other than that. Gravely's seem to be widely praised throughout.

I haven't decided for sure... Just playing devil's advocate here to see what you all think of my concerns.

Thanks in advance.