1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Please help with our first commercial bid- Meijer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Earthworks Landscaping, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Earthworks Landscaping

Earthworks Landscaping LawnSite Member

We just recieved a call from the property management company that services Meijer. They are currently accepting bids for the two stores that they have in town. Does anybody have experience with this contract or any other Meijer contract? The management company is Genisis Facility Management. These accounts are in Illinois. Can anybody give me an idea of what you are charging for this account. I'm trying to get a feel for this account.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Be very leary of them ...They pay slow and you have to have manager sign off each time you cut or plow...IMHO
  3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I hate that when you need someone to sign off on your job. I have a hospital that way and it is awful. I would say the head maintanance guys signs off for me who is never a problem - them the account person needs to sign off from the maint. guy which is usually slow, then the Vp of this hospital needs to sign that off and then sent 80 miles away to corp. so they can review the bill b/f I am paid. Example - $1680 worth of work in Oct - invoice and statment the next day - Oct. 18 - 07, paid the 29th of DEC.

Moral - maybe nice account to have but if this is an issue - I would think long and hard on this one!
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

dont do like I did on my first one.....

It was a BIG appartment complex..... I got a bog head and priced myself outta the ball park,,,,
  5. Earthworks Landscaping

Earthworks Landscaping LawnSite Member

On the General Terms of the contract, it states; "Anytime service is done at each location, a call will need to be made to the Call in Center (800#) to report services each time the services are done." Does this sound like what you guys are use too?

Also here is what services they are expecting. Does this sound pretty typical?

1. Spring Clean Up:
    a. Supply, deliver and install mulch
    b. Apply pre-emergent herbicide chemical to all planting beds
    c. Remove all leafs and debris from site
    d. Activate and inspect irrigation system

2. Prune all shrubs, small trees (twice a year)

3. Fall Clean Up:
    a. Remove all leafs and debris from site
    b. Apply winterizer fert.
    c. Turn and cultvate mulch
    d. Winterize and inspect irrigation system

4. Mow and trim (weekly maint.)
    a. Mow
    b. Trim
    c. Blow clippings
    d. Remove litter from lawn area, sidewalks, parking lot curbs and parking lot areas.
    e. Apply fert/weed & feed to all turf. (min three times a year.)
    f. Remove weeds from all planting beds.
    g. Apply herbicide to vegatation in paved areas.

Can anybody give me an idea of what they charged other Meijer stores? Thanks in advance.
  6. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Another national management company. They love the small lcos that want to make their "big break" into "commercial accounts".

Dont worry about what price you give them because you will get a counter offer of what theyre willing to pay. And thats going to be about 50% of what the contract is really worth.
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

AMEN to that brother
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You need to ask them for a bid package....most companies has a standard list of stuff they want done. For Example...bushes monthly, irrigation check monthly 40 cuts, tree trimmed to 6 ft. mulch twice a year etc..