Please help with pricing in CT

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Frenchie, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Frenchie

Frenchie LawnSite Member

HI,
    I am from Bristol, CT. I started my business out of occasional side jobs. I worked for a big landscape Co. before but I was a laborer. I had nothing to do with the paperwork or bills. Can anyone give me price ranges for the things I do. I think I way undercharge. I am not getting ahead at this rate. I know something is wrong. I will write beside what I charge and if anyone can offer more info I would appreciate it so much. I consider myself a work horse and I am a one man show currently, but I am not seeing the profits.
    Spring Clean up ? 100-125
    Mowing mostly quarter to half acre lots? 25-35 depend on size
    Fall Clean up? around 150-175
    gutter cleaning? 25
    shrub trimming. ?? Haven't done much of this.
    Seeding, lime, grubs? ??
    Edging garden beds (various sizes, is there a calculation for that?) 15-20 a bed
    Mulch? Again different sized areas? last year charged between 50 and 57 a yard but I was paying 30-35 yd. So I got a little up-sale on the mulch but really no pay for laying it down.
    Any suggestions as to where Mulch is sold cheap and descent quality?
    Dump Runs?
    Gas is outrageous. I have a Ford 2000 F250 Diesel 7.3 and an old 88 GMC gas powered.
    I know I put allot here but I really do need some advice.
    Thanks in advance to anyone that has helpful suggestions!

2. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

If you were in my area, I would think you are way low. Spring cleanups here start at $200, mowing is $35 min, $50 avg. Fall cleanups minimum $250, avg is $350. Bed edging is $1/ft. Mulch $65/70 yd installed.

I suggest talking to some other landscapers in your area to see what the market pricing is like.

3. paul vroom

paul vroom LawnSite Senior Member

ok, different states but I am will to bet that we are not that far off.
    Spring Clean up ? 100-125 more like a min of 200 maybe 225

Mowing mostly quarter to half acre lots? 25-35 depend on size Nothing below 35 but figure out how much you need to make an hour and price the job per hour

Fall Clean up? around 150-175 I have never bid a Fall cleanup below 300

gutter cleaning? 25 even on a ranch with just gutters front and back 100. Your doing the climbing.

shrub trimming. ?? Haven't done much of this. I charge $75 an hour for a non client 35 for a lawncare client
    Seeding, lime, grubs? ??
    Edging garden beds (various sizes, is there a calculation for that?) 15-20 a bed ok
    Mulch? Again different sized areas? last year charged between 50 and 57 a yard but I was paying 30-35 yd. So I got a little up-sale on the mulch but really no pay for laying it down.
    Any suggestions as to where Mulch is sold cheap and descent quality? I charge double the price for mulch then depending on the terraine I go 50-75 a yard to install.

Dump Runs? I pay 12 a yard which is high but it is so close it is worth it.

Good luck and I hope you start cashing in soon....

4. Enzo

Enzo LawnSite Member

I am deff agreeing with Paul vroom on the pricing. For you in Bristol you can head right down the road into Farmington at Greencycle and they charge 10.50 a yard for leaves, grass, and branches.