Please Help With This Bid.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clncut, Mar 14, 2005.

1. clncut

clncut LawnSite Member

Just went and looked at a clean up/mulch job this evening. The guy wants his beds cleaned and mulched. There is a total of 2021 sq. ft of beds that are a mess. I figured 12 hrs total for the job and 13 yrds of red mulch. The bid Im coming up with is 1935.00 for mulch and clean up. What do you guys think. the beds wrap around the house, some areas have many bushes and some is wide open. Hope some of you can help out here. Thanks!

John

2. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

Is that 12 hrs (2 people 12 hrs) or just 12 man hrs?

3. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

How much is the mulch and how many guys do you have working with you?

4. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

If you can do the clean up and spread 13 yrds of mulch in 12 hrs by yourself then that is a good price. Especially if you can get mulch under $25 a yrd.
    That is around $100 an hour for labor. You could even drop it a little and still do well.

5. clncut

clncut LawnSite Member

2 guys working with me and mulch is 60/yard installed. 3 guys working 12 hrs total or 36 man hrs for clean up/prep beds

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I think you are too high. If you figure the going rate of what many LCO charge for labor at $55.00 an hour at your 12 hours you stated that is $660, which would mean that you are charging $98.00 a yard for mulch uninstalled, and most charge around $55-$65 a yard INSTALLED. So, even if you figured labor at the 12 hours still due to clean up at $55 an hour that is $660 and the Mulch say still at $60 a yard that would total $1440.00 which I still think is a very good price because you got that $60 a yard for mulch plus still charged labor seperate. BUT, if he'll bite on your price that even more, but I wouldn't get too greedy and lose the job either. Also at 13 yards for 2021 sq feet I assume you are planning on putting down 2" of mulch?

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Hell, that changes EVERYTHING I just said then as you said 12 hours and mentioned no other help when you post this....so your price is decent then :cool:

8. clncut

clncut LawnSite Member

yes, I was figuring 2", The old mulch is pretty much no existant and in my bid I added in a delivery charge and dumping fee. That did hike up the cost a little. I should take some pics to show you guys, its a real mess. If I get the job, Ill try to remember before and after pics.

9. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

what do you do with the old mulch ?

10. clncut

clncut LawnSite Member

Im not removing any mulch, the disposal fee is for the weeds, leaves branches ect.

Anyone else care to bite?

John