PLEASE HELP, yard dead, dont know what to do... might get evicted

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by deadyard, Aug 25, 2006.

1. deadyard

deadyard LawnSite Member

Hi all.

Im renting a house, it was built earlier this year, new subdivision... and had a brand new yard put in.

It never was much but it slowly died over the summer, especially when I was out of town for 5 weeks and nobody watered it. I just got back and have been watering it but I havent seen any huge turnaround.

There is a house next door that is just being finished up and they put the yard in this week. When they did that the neighbors lot went from a constuction site to a house and it makes mine stand out more.... they also have to sell that house. This week the owner I rent from got a letter of non compliance from the neighborhood association, and they say they will start fining soon.

Ive been told that I need to get the yard back looking good. Ive edged, mowed, and been watering religiously but its not enough for everyone and I dont know what to do.

Apparently I may be evicted if I 'cant' get the yard back looking good but I dont know what else I can do....?

Is there a certain type of fertilizer I should put out?? Should I plant seeds maybe??? Whats that green spray stuff I always used to see the city spray onto medians??? ;)

Right now Ive got three different spriklers and Im turning them on several times a day, and hours at night.... to the point of standing water and me 'sinking' when I walk across sometimes. Ive also got two different soaker hoses Ive been leaving on all the time...

I dont know what type of grass it is, I dont know how to tell to let you know if that info is needed?

Im in Texas and its 100 degrees almost everyday.

PLEASE help me if you can, ANY advice, time, and info is GREATLY appreciated.

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

if you are renting, i would talk to the landlord and tell him what is happening. was the lawn sod? if so, and it is the first year, it needs lots of water. i would think having an irrigation system installed would be the landlord's responsibility. if he shifts responsibility to you, overseed with bahia or bermuda just so it's green, water like crazy, and plan to mow once a week. as far as fert, do you have any idea if a starter fertilizer was used during install? if so, you may not have to worry about it.
    but again, i would involve the landlord first.

3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

meant to say as well - this is not the best time of year to overseed, better to wait until october (at least here and i don't think texas would be much different, but not sure, check with your local extention office).

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I would not do anything unless its in your lease to maintain the lawn. And if he evicts and its not in the lease you can sue him for breech of contract and let him pay all expenses.

A lawn that is seeded in a hot climate with out irragation is not going to do very well no matter what you do. Get a copy of the HOA regulations for new lawn installs and see if irrigation is required. Around here its spelled out if you have to have it and all the new and upscale sub divisions are now requiring it.

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it in your lease to nurture a newly planted landscape? I'd keep all correspondence you get in the mail, log down every verbal discussion including dates and what was said, and keep a record of what you are doing to try to save he landscape.

When they evict you, sue the $%^& out of them. You will win unless you have a clause in your lease that states that you are responsible.

6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Quick fix...

1. Slice seed and irrigate
    2. Apply green Turf dye so it looks good until the seed germinates

7. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

I've always found, especially on new sod lawns, they take a lot of fertilizer. I speculate the reason is the soil underneath is poor. Water alone usually doesn't bring back a lawn to 100%. There has to be some fertilizer involved.

Here's what I have done in the past that worked well.

1. Water 4-6 hours per zone with a very low flow sprinkler. Stop if all the water is running in the street and the soil is saturated. Wait a few hours then continue until you get the 4-6 hours total.
    2. Wait 2-3 days and repeat step 1.
    3. Upon completion of step 2 wait a day, apply fertilizer but don't over fertilizer and do not apply just by throwing it down by hand, use a spreader. Best to use 1/2 recommended to start with, won't last as long but will eliminate nitrogen burn.
    4. Apply Moss-out as it is high in iron and will turn the lawn very green, it also helps with any moss/fungus problems that might be there. Only lasts a couple weeks though.
    5. Water in fert and moss-out for 20-30 minutes per zone.

Wait and see what happens. Don't over water, you'll do more damage than good. 1-2 good waterings per week is all you'll need but they have to be hours per zone.

Since the soil is satruated you can skip to the fertilizer/mossout application.

I'm up in cool season grass country so if there is anything I mentioned that would harm warm season grass please inform.

8. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wont comment much because i dont know what is used in texas for new lawn installs. How ever here in md. it is hot and dry also and nothing is growing. On a new lawn it needs water a big mistake made is people quits watering after it comes up the first year is very important your only trying to establish the root the beauty comes later. There was some excellant posts made i would follow there advise. Over seeding will be neccessary and fertlizing also here in md. we will do this in sept it gets cooler here. Again your in texas im not folllow the advise given by the guys in your area. If the lawn was installed in spring the fertlizer used than if any is long gone out of the ground. Fresh soil needs all the nutrients it can get. That green stuff your talking about is hydroseding with a blend mulch, it needs water also. I couldnt believe you could get evicted over your grass not growing, what do they say about loud partys and fireworks thatswhat i would get excited about.
    Mike

9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

if the new lawn went 5 weeks without water, I don't think any amount of water is gonna rejuvenate it now.

I am with the others who say you need to determine your responsibilities prior to putting in a new lawn. Most likely it wasn't installed properly (poor soil) and certainly a lack of irrigation did it in.

10. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

What does your lease state? Also be careful what you say to the landlord. If you had a verbal agreement to maintain the lawn he may be able to hold you to that. If there were no witnesses then it is his word against yours. If one or the other of you can provide proof of a verbal agreement that is sometimes as enforceable as a written contract.