Please help??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Richgonfishn, Jun 2, 2001.

1. Richgonfishn

Richgonfishn LawnSite Member

I had a question for you experts. I have tall Fescue that I planted by seed. At the time of planting I was just throwing out grass seed to to keep the weeds from growing. It was our first home and we couldn't afford to landscape. To make a long story short the lawn came in very well. It came in so well I later added a sprinkler system.... I know I went about it backwards. The lawn has been in for about two years and looks great for the most part. My question is. Is there something I can put on the lawn to help loosen up the soil? I have a few spots that seem to turn brown no matter how much I water. I'm sure it's rocky clay soil that is causing the problem. Would something like gypsum work or help. She I apply it to the whole lawn? I like to be the envy of the neighbors and have the nicest, greenist lawn. Please help me out with any suggestions.

BTW- I use a Honda Harmony II mower. (this years model) I've pretty much been mulching once a week. I keep the lawn about 3 to 3 1/2" tall. I use Scotts turf builder about every 3-5 months. Please take the time to reply with any advice. Oh, I almost forgot.. I live in Sacramento, CA. It was 106 two days ago. Were going to have a few days in the 80's.

Thanks for the help!!
  2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have correctly diagnosed your problem, gypsum should help. In the dead turf areas, till it in along with some organic matter, then re-seed. Also keep an eye on the pH of the soil. Good Luck.
  3. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

One way to do it is core airate the dead areas, or the entire lawn, then remove the cores from the dead area and rake peatmoss into the holes.

Jim L
  4. Richgonfishn

Richgonfishn LawnSite Member

I'm not sure if I've diagnosed the prblem cprrectly. I do know the grass in the bad area's are NOT dead. I've been really watering those area's the last three day and it's look soooooo much better. I would like to improve the soil in those areas.

How do I check the pH?

Thanks for the replies and keep them coming....

5. lawnboykb

lawnboykb LawnSite Member

I would core the area and then fill them in with loose stuff.