Please help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by plantzpropertymanagement, Sep 8, 2006.

1. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

Alright im going to be getting new mowers in the spring but for now i have to do with what i got. I have a ztr cubcadet only a year old i know you dont have to say it anyway i have had nothing but problems with this thing it will start some times and some times it wont its like the battery goes dead ive replaced that twice no bad connections so i took it to my local shop where i got it from and they say its the valves? hmmm i dont know so i get it back and the same thing happens again so i take it in there and they say the same thing so they do there thing, good thing its still under warranty i get it back and the same thing so now they have it again and there still trying to say its the same thing so im like ok why isnt it getting fixed they said im to rough on it haha i only use the thing about 8 hours out the week i dont know what to do and on top of it, my last resort to mow is my push mower so im using that and the wheel breaks off i have some bad luck im telling you so they say it will be fixed monday and i know it will do the same thing any ideas what might be the issue with the mower other then the "valves" thanks for taking the time to read this post i know its kind of long.
  2. iblonger

iblonger LawnSite Member

Sounds like an electrical issue. Could be a safety relay malfunctioning or a solenoid. They can be difficult to trace when it is intermitent. Is there an option to take it to a different Cub dealer? It can take a good mechanic to trace an electrical issue. My Encore had the same problem this year, but it only took one trip for them to find the issue. Having a shop you trust and spend money at is very important in this business.
  3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Very true. Plus I can't see it being the valves.
  4. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

What kind of engine? If it is a Briggs, it is possible that you might have a faulty cam or compression release. I've seen a few of these....More details please...Mike
  5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like it has Ground issiues. If it were mine I would remove the solenoid and sand the paint so it gets a good ground then check all the others as well.
  6. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

The longest sentence in the history of man kind.

Second longest sentence in the history of man kind.
    I'll bet a lot of Cub Cadets out there just keep chugging year after year with proper maintenance.
    Guys, any shop should be able to check for continuous fire shouldn't they?
    Is it likely there is, like an intermittent coil or sumpin'?
  7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

When you say it's like the battery is dead, It makes no noise at all when turning the key ? Is the battery actually dead at this point ? When you installed a new battery did the unit start right up and run fine ?

When your mowing are you running the throttle at wide open position 3650/3750 RPM ?
    If not the PTO clutch is most likely pulling more voltage from the battery than the engine charging system can put back in it thus running the battery down and possibly blowing a strap inside.

Was this unit in a no start state when dropped off to the dealer ?
    If so a REAL Service Technician should be able to isolate this problem in 15 Min's. or less. :dizzy:
  8. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

yes it is a briggs engine it will turn over but hardly its just real slow like it just does not have enough power to turn it over it never actually goes all the way dead unless i keep trying and trying to start it. The first time it happened i replaced the battery cause i had it tested and they told me it was a bad battery so i replaced it and it started right up. It seems like after i let it sit over night the next day nothing. I am running it at full throttle.
  9. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah....? You need to provide a little better info with this one.
    What engine came on your CUB? a Kawi? what is the Spec#?
    If its a Kawi twin I have seen a lot of units Cub,Lesco viper/Ztwo(same H@ different dress) They mount the charge wire with a single connector on the voltage regulator and they tend to come loose, fall off or just vibrate on the connection and arch. It's so common that its the first place I look when someone tells me their mower is not charging the battery.
  10. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Could be diodes in the charging system leaking. That may be what they are refering to as valves. I had a cub cadet with Kohler that would discharge battery if not used often, infact hadt to replace batterey anually. No one could or would fix the problem. Replacet the cc with a John Deere and am still using origional battery at the 7 year mark.