Please help!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Mowinforaliving, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got my applicator's license here in Oklahoma and need help on what pre-post emergents to apply (on bermuda). I have a yellow 25 gallon PK sprayer (from Atwoods) to work with this first go round until I get my new 200 gallon skid in a month or so. My 25 gallon sprayer has about 30' of 3/8 air hose and a wand attached that resembles one you would see at a car wash. The pump is just a little electric one that came on it that has the aligator clamps that clip on the battery. I bought it last year to spray roundup with.

2. Mowinforaliving

Someone please school me on what chemical I should go buy and a crash course on how to mix, calibrate, etc... I've read books and online info and passed the tests last week, but I would still like to hear it from some real life applicators. Thanks guys.

3. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

You can't effectively use the wand on this sprayer to do applications. I would mount the sprayer to your mower frame and rig a boom up to it. Either that or buy a backpack sprayer. The mixing and calibration depends on how you set the sprayer up.

4. Mowinforaliving

Okay. Around here all the LCO's spray yards and commercial properties with hand guns, not booms. Can I do the same thing, with maybe a different gun than the car wash style wand? These guys just have one about the size of a pistol. 4 or 5 inches maybe, not some long wand like mine. They will do an entire lawn with them. Also, where do you buy the red and green dye?

5. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

up at the top there is a green bar says search in it, search calibrate or, boom sprayer, of tank mix, read up on it. talk to your lesco rep for chemicals to use in your area, or the guns they have.

6. Mowinforaliving

Thanks. Will they want to talk to me about a gun for a 25 gallon PK sprayer with an electric pump though?

7. Mowinforaliving

I'm not trying to put any money into this little sprayer because in another month I plan on buying a 200 skid from Femco for my truck. Just trying to use this little one for the first round of fertilizer.

8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

If you can change the tip at the end of the gun to a Teejet 11006 or 11008 flat fan and run it at 40 PSI measured at the gun it can be used for broadcast applications to a lawn. At a comfortable walking speed, a tip like that will put down about 1 gallon per M at that pressure. If I am not mistaken, most pistols and wands come with a Teejet 5500 X8 tip, which is an adjustable hollow cone spray nozzle. That is the worst thing to use on a lawn because of the inabililty to callibrate a set volume per area. BTW, it is a common thing to see LCOs in Hawaii spraying a lawn with this incorrect tip. They have no business being in the business and should stick to cutting grass. I suggest you set up your gun with a flat fan tip and spray an even coat of water on your driveway to see how much a gallon of water is covering. If you are doing liquid fertilizer, then I reccomend a 11015 or 11020 tip to put down 2 or more gallons per M. An electric pump might not be able to run anything over a 11010 unless it is a 3 GPM pump.

9. Mowinforaliving

Thanks Greendoctor. That's the type of info I was wanting. Thanks alot.

10. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

No problem. A properly callibrated sprayer with flat fan tips provide very good coverage. A single nozzle gun or a walking boom is the usual equipment used by researchers when testing herbicides. I would think that is adequate for routine lawn applications. I am able to spray right next to flower beds with a flat fan nozzle. I do use a TurboFloodjet nozzle for covering large areas with fertilizers only. A floodjet nozzle does not have the tightly defined spray pattern that a flat fan nozzle does. BTW, I usually run my spray guns with an engine driven backpack. That enables me to run at a constant pressure and volume. It is large enough to do a substantial area, yet small enough so I am not stuck with a mix that cannot be used on the next lawn. I do all warm season turf and what is ok for zoysia, will be toxic toi st augustine, etc. Lawns here are not a mix of cool season grasses that can handle the same mix.