Please help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mjm7179, May 26, 2008.

1. mjm7179

mjm7179 LawnSite Member

I plan on starting my own landscape company in the next year or 2. Mostly landscaping, hard scape, and water. Absolutely no lawn cutting. I know all i need to know about the labor side of things, ponds, waterfalls, walls, patios, etc. I am foreman of a company and am basically given a design and told to go build it. But i basically know nothing about the business end. Estimates, labor cost pricing, a good cad program etc. I'm going to be working on job with a kid that i will pay probably cash till things get going. Any good books or insight is extremely helpful.
  2. Merlin300

Merlin300 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

My advice, stay where your at and pay attention. Ask questions. You will learn all the ins and outs of the business. Thats how I learned and started out.

I learned from my former company, how not to treat customers. Don't lie, cheat, and steal. Do exactly what you say you will do, and try to get the jobs done on time. And please don't start out paying cash to employees. Start out the right way and legal way and things will fall into place.
  3. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

That's good advice, right there. :weightlifter:

On top of that, do excellent work, and your business will grow in leaps and bounds.

Good luck.
  4. mjm7179

mjm7179 LawnSite Member

last house my crew did.just a lil landscape.

Picture 016.jpg
  5. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks pretty nice. . .Did you add the berms, or were they already there?