1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Please help.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wattsup, Nov 7, 2002.

1. wattsup

wattsup LawnSite Member

To keep it short:

Customer moved into new house last week. The yard is @90% weeds. It also has a ton of shade. They want to start with leaf removal, and then get some grass growing. Is it too late to seed? I think they will have to use a fine fescue or something else that will grow in shade. My suggestion would be to kill the weeds then seed, but it is too late for that. What are some other options? Thank you.
  2. dr grass

dr grass Banned

90% weeds!!! kill off the weeds and start from scratch

3. wattsup

wattsup LawnSite Member

When do I do this? They do not want to wait until next fall to plant seed, and I have not had good results with seeding in the spring. If some one could tell me they have done it, it worked, and what they used (seed & fert). I will try anything once, or twice, or ......... Thank you.
  4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

First do a soil test and add amendments if necessary. Check out your local ag center and ask what blend does best in shade for your area. They should also be able to tell what kind of results you will get for seeding this time of year.

How big an area is it? How 'bout laying sod?
  5. tailoredlook

tailoredlook LawnSite Member

till up the area, use Scotts landscaper sun and shade mix, starter fert and straw. should work fune.
  6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Soil test.
    Kill the weeds.
    Fix the soil.
    Install sprinkler system.

It may be a little late for seeding. I have no idea if that means sod will do ok or not. I'm assuming that if the sod is dormant, it will just lie there fine untill spring. Maybe, maybe not.

I think it's ok to seed in the EARLY spring, just have to explain that without proper watering, darn near perfect soil conditions and proper mowing height, they will lose some of the grass that has not yet matured due to the heat/stress of summer.
  7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

you could do a sod install, and the sod would just lie dormant till spring. its pretty much too late to seed now, and i dont understand why they would wait till next fall. Plant some seed in early may, and tell them to water. you should have a nice established lawn before the summer heat comes and should be all set.
  8. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

kill the weeds now and seed. I dont think you will be able to find fescue sod in TN. there is a zoyza sod that is more shade tolerant now that you might try. finding it at local sod farms will be hard.

I'd just seed with a fescue blend maybe throw in some rye to keep from having soil erosion.

9. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

I'm with TSG. To add:
    Make sure your get a blended seed with a 80% or higher germination rate. (%'s found on the back of the bag.) Starter Fert should be used for newly seeded lawns. (any other fert will burn the new seedlings.) After checking the PH level lime might need to be added. You may also need to aerate the lawn. Oh and spread hay over the new seeds to keep the birds from eating them and also feed the lawn. Sorry this isn't in order. I'm tried. Do your researh and check with your local Ag Ext agent. The best times to seed are in the Spring and Fall.
  10. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with Greenpastures on this one. Do a whole renovation of the yard. The job will then make you look better and will make the customer happier than just doing patchwork to get their yard looking decent.