1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Please Heop the Rookie!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 31bro, Mar 12, 2007.

1. 31bro

31bro LawnSite Member
    from IN

I just got my license and I have a customer who wants 4 treatments. Is this what I should do?--first April pre emer/ fert, middle of May fert/ spray weed kill, September fert/spray weed kill, and winterizer end of October. Is this right? He also wants grub control so I will do this in first of August. I am treating 25000 sq. ft. and I plan on charging 2.50/1000sq ft.($60 per app) is this about average? What should I charge for the grub control? Thanks for the help guys.
  2. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

Wow, that's cheap, you sure you mean 25,000sq'. Figure all your costs first you'll see your real low. Figure out all your expenses and re-evaluate your costs.
    That looks like four fert treatments plus two sprays to me.
  3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

60 bucks for 25k is way too cheap...... Plus you need to make sure your rates are correct when applying the products.
  4. 31bro

31bro LawnSite Member
    from IN

so how much should I charge? The whole yard was 33000 and minus the house and ect it was 25000sq ft. I am looking for some help.
  5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Well Bro:
    Figure your over head (Total cost including gas for truck, chems, fertilizer, Your labor (+/_ $40/hr) some profit for company 10-15%. The old rule of going in the hold for two years? You need to make a profit or you'll go out of business. You need to have some petty cash for emergencies like broken equipment, added labor, just lots of other things. Just get a good picture of what it cost you to do business. You'll be surprized and you cannot make it on one yard so price it somewhere to be attractive to other clients and smother them with personal service, care, and by all means--"BE ON TIME AND KEEP YOUR WORD" You want more CORRECT business.
    If I were you I'd take a business course--Winter when things are slow. I once paid over $1000 for a three day seminar in DC over 30 years ago, but it was worth over 100K to my business over the next 30 years or more. Maybe some of the others can be a little more specific in your area Hang in there--Don't Go Outta Business--there's too many ugly yards out there.
  6. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of my lawns are anywhere from 1200- 12k and the prices range from $30-$50. All depends on your area and what the competitive prices are in your area. good luck.
  7. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

for that size lawn I would charge $85 per app. 5 apps. (fert + w/c only)

where in Indiana are you? north or south? If I were you - do your first app late March. Second app - early to Mid May. Grub conrol late June (if scheduled), summer fert Mid July (u better choose the right kind) , Late August (total weed control) Mid Sept (seed, lime, starter fert, etc), late oct / early Nov (second starter app or winterizer)... whataya think?
  8. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

I guess that's 6 but #4 would be all liquid or liquid + lime (August).
  9. jelawncare

jelawncare LawnSite Member

that price is low for a basic 4 step lawn program with grub control in my area
    price for each application $114.00
    charging $3.25 per 1000 for rounds 1,3,4 81.25
    charging $8.50 per 1000 for round 2 212.50 fert w/grub control
    average 4 rounds together $113.00
    you will need to due a maintenance stop between rounds 1,2 for your broadleaf weeds or add this as a round and fert w/ with weed control
    these are basic prices 3.25 -4.75 per 1000 fert weed control
    8.50-12.50 per 1000 per 1000 grub or insect control
  10. jelawncare

jelawncare LawnSite Member

grub control late june
    use your local fert rep (lesco),extention services,read product labels
    lots of choices in herbicides,pesticides,fertilizers.
    these things should help you put together basic 4 step lawn care program.