Please ID this bush - how to cut back

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mowinginva, Apr 15, 2008.

1. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

Can anyone tell me what this bush is called? I, probably, sound dumb, but I don't know the name. Also, we have a lady that wants us to cut a bush like this back or take it out. Do these come back well if they are cut back extensively? Thanks

CIMG1439.jpg

CIMG1437.jpg

CIMG1438.jpg

2. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know the name but i would square it off with the hedge trimmers and call it a day.

3. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

It looks like it's been gas sheared for years. If you gas shear it too deep, you'll notice that all of the green is on the outside of the plant. The leaves on those type of shrubs grow towards the light.

My recommendation is to prune it back from the inside out. Let some growth develop underneath, and then you can prune back some more. It wont be a big job but will take time to scale this shrub back properly.

4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

If that's what it is, there's probably nothing you can do with pruners or a chainsaw that'll hurt it for long. Every couple we cut ours back to a little stump, and it keeps coming back!:cool2::cool2:

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Yes, it is a YEW. The only one that I've seen that look like anything other that the type you have in photo are the one with a Japaneese look with their limbs trimmed up of small twigs and allowed to almost resemble a twisted green mum. Hard to explain. Sorta lilke a large bonzia.

6. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

It's a yew. You can't kill them, but they do take a while to fill back in if you were to cut it back to half its size.

Probably a year before it looks good again.

7. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your replies. This wasn't the bush that We have to trim. The one we have to trim is more overgrown. You've helped - Thanks.