Please ID this weed - how to get rid of?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by mowinginva, Jun 10, 2008.

1. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

Here are some pics of a weed that's getting pretty rampant in my neighbors yard. Anybody know what it's called and how to get rid of it? Thanks

CIMG1558.jpg

CIMG1559.jpg

CIMG1560.jpg

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

ahh crap, I got a new customer that has that in his yard. I forget what he called it. purple something? He said the old timers call it jumping something or other. I know this was useful information, just venting my frustration.

I know it isn't organic but I have been using three way and it seems to take care of it I think.

3. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

Its creeping charlie or ground ivy. Its a pain in the butt. Vinegar works well on the leaves. And then over seed, over seed over seed.

4. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

:DYEAH, creeping charlie... creeping, jumping, tomAtoe tomotoe, you get the idea...

5. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

Creeping Charlie. Virginny Beach has plenty of it, and it reeks when you mow it. 2,4-d generally kills it, but you may need 2 apps.

6. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

Yep, creeping charlie or ground ivy.

7. Nickos

Nickos LawnSite Member

good luck

from what ive heard and seen... its pretty much indestructible

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

"Organically"? Good luck. A few aps of 3 way. It dos take repeated aps of this, though. It gets smaller and smaller. Timing is crucial, though. you aren't going to do much with it in the heat of summer.

9. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks everybody.

10. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

vinegar and lower the pH, the stuff likes a high pH. let that grass get a little longer, it looks like 2 inches, we let our front yard go to see what happens, 10 inch st Augustine will takeover any thing, the dandy's where eaten,and any dollar weed just got shaded to death. funny thing it shot out seed heads!!! never seen this before!!!