please id

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mudter, Aug 22, 2007.

1. mudter

mudter LawnSite Member
    from texas

first time poster, long time creeper of the dark. i need help with the id of this weed.

grass 011.jpg
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

3. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

Looks exactly the same!

Could also be Chamber bitter(Phyllanthus urinararia). We get a lot of that down here, and if it's mowed in the lawn it will look just like that. If not mowed or in ornamental beds it can get pretty tall, about 2 feet.

Either way, both of those weeds are in the same family, Euphorbiaceae.

Atrizine and Isoxaben(Gallery I think) give excellent pre-m control of these weeds. Depending on what type of grass you have(looks like St Augustine, if so I wouldn't use 2-4-D or Monument), post-m herbicides include 2-4-D, Manor, Quicksilver, and Monument for good control of these weeds.
  4. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

Looks like Chamberbitter. Alternate leaf arrangement. p.Spurge looks like opposite
  5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

We have that same stuff in SC...Common vetch is our name for it and it can be knocked out with Atrazine. Also looks like lespedeza, another name for common vetch. Spurge has a little different shape main trunk. Compare the two really close.
  6. mudter

mudter LawnSite Member
    from texas

thanks for the information, i think we have it identified. anyway i'm off to take the state irrigator test today. again thanks for everyone's reply.