Please indentify this grass

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by cross1933, Jul 28, 2007.

1. cross1933

cross1933 LawnSite Member

What type of grass is this?

grass weed.jpg

2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I may get laughed at but my guess is this -- if you like crab grass -- that's what it looks like.

3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Isnt that Bermuda?...

4. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

Tall fescue I think. I've got some in my own yard and it'll look like a weed in bluegrass or fine fescue lawns because of its coarse texture and rapid growth.

5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

No it isn't Bermuda but I think nmez21 may be right about tall fescue. About mid-July this type of grass and Dalis grass really start trying to take over my Bermuda.

I stand corrected if this variety is not one of the crab grasses.

Nosmo

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like tall fescue to me...but I could be wrong as well. Wait until bermuda is completely dormant (Middle of winter) and spot treat with Round Up, you may want to brush on the leaves to make sure you dont get any on bermuda if not completely dormant. It may take several applications to completely rid your bermuda of this grass.

7. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you right, notice the red root base to the left of the pic. It really looks like all weeds with crab grass and there seems to be a small oak tree at the bottom of the pic. I am not being rude, but that is what it seem to look like.

8. cross1933

cross1933 LawnSite Member

Nothing would surprise me, to say I am disappointed in the landscape job by the builder is a understatement.

9. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the picture appears to be tall fescue, but there is crabgrass (or goosegrass or dallisgrass) to the left center. I can also see about 3 different broadleaf weeds.

10. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

It could be a contractors mix, is it real bright grean, almost fluorescent, almost looks like plastic??Quick germinating seed.