Please let me know if I am out of line.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pcarlson1911, Oct 24, 2006.

1. pcarlson1911

pcarlson1911 LawnSite Member

Long story short. Couldn't start my Tiger Cub yesterday. Tried to jump it with my WB, no luck. Tried to start it with a portable jumping pack, no luck. Tried to charge and jump it with my truck, no luck. Called the shop at 5:50. They close at 6:00. I told them I was on my way over and needed to get my NEW Tiger Cub going as I was in the middle of a job. "Well, our mechanics are on thier way outta here cause the weather is so bad." (No kidding, I'm out mowing!) "We can pick up the mower tomorrow morning and drop it back off in 24 hours." I suggest that I drop it off. They agree to have someone wait and lock it up for me.

I call today and they tell me it is a faulty battery. "So we upgraded to a larger battery for more cranking power for you the cost difference is only 7 or 8 bucks so we hope you don't mind covering that."

My response "I lost 90 minutes yesterday on a job that I'm going to have to restart, and complete today, not to mention the gas both ways to pick up and drop off."

His response, "OK, I'll eat it."

Did I ask my shop to do something that is out of line?
    pc

2. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

no i dont think so

3. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Two things come mind and that is how old is the mower and the battery they replaced..... and did they ask you before hand if putting in a ""bigger" battery was OK. I say you are in the right here....

4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

You complained to them that it put you out? Didnt this also put someone at that shop out to stay late for you?

I am not saying the shop shouldnt have ate the cost, I just think your comment was out of line. You were both put out, it sucks but **** happens sometimes.

5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Assuming that they had good intentions with the upgrade and the fact that they were willing to do you a favor and pick it up if needed I'd say just pay the difference. It was nice of them to eat it, though.

6. pcarlson1911

I thought about handing the guy a five for staying, but at the same time, it is his job to provide customer service and his companies job to motivate him to do that. I have motivated his company by investing $9177.05 in a mower At this point and time that mower has cost me $746.10 per hour. I have a hard time taking a hit for more unitl it starts to earn!

I hear stories about shops who will deliver demos to job sites and I have a hard time accepting any level of service less than that. An employee waiting 10 minutes to help me push a mower off my trailer is not a huge sacrafice in my opinion. That is the service I give to my customers...It is the service I expect in return.
    pc

7. saw man

from utah

So he should stay after for you but you as a "professional" does not need to have extra equipment to finish a job for your customers? Seems like a double standard.

Before you ask, I had extra of all equipment in case of a breakdown, and the business today I have extra.

8. pcarlson1911

and it was on the trailer. I spoke to my customer and asked if they would like me to return to complete the mowing with my walk behind. The response was don't sweat it. I offered. They declined. I charge a price that motivates me to return and complete my work in the dark if needed for their satisfaction.

There is so much talk on this site where people complain about price point consumers. I am not a price point consumer, but I do expect something additional for the money that I pay. I expect service.

On the account I was cleaning up yesterday, I took an extra ten minutes putting all the toys back in the sand box (20'x40') after I blew them out with the leaves. I did not expect the homeowner to tip me. It is my job to make the customers happy. I could have left the leaves in the box, or I could have moved over the toys, but either of those responses would have potentially left my customer unhappy.

this is the same account that I brought a 1/2 yard of dirt to and some seed to do some turf repair on. the homeowner didn't ask me to do the repair, but they sure appreciated it. When I need to raise my price next year they won't care because they will know that they are getting more than they pay for! That is what I want from a shop, I've paid for it!
    pc

9. saw man

from utah

Did you not get it?

10. coolbreeze

coolbreeze LawnSite Member

i can see both sides of it, since it was NEW. if the battery that came with it wasn't big enough, wouldn't they have this problem all of the time? i would pay the difference only because the cost is minimal, but i would try to convince them otherwise, also they did you favor by allowing someone to stay late even if they were closing early.