Please MURPHY, get off my back.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Carolina Cutter, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Could it get any worse than today??? Gas prices are high but we have already beat that horse to death.....

Out doing some of my commercial accounts today and well got one done, went to the next, pulled out the mower and go to start the WB and snap the freakin pull rope breaks. Took my tools outta the trailer to do something yesterday and forgot to put them back.....and did I mention I had no rope as I do not carry that? Have you ever tried to push a WB into an enclosed trailer with no power from the engine? Well, let's just say it was a challenge (I work by myself).

Go to the local mower shop hoping they can help me. The guy is really nice and pushes my stuff to the front of the line because I am a lawn service.....15 minutes and $10.41 later its ready to go. Go back to the comercial and get it done. I am thinking, ok, maybe this days not gonna turn out so bad after all.

Get done there and go to some residential I have. Go to the first yard and do one heck of a job if I must say so myself... :p .....

Load up.....DID I MENTION AHEAD OF SCHEDUALE......and make my way to the second yard. Pull up, drop the trailer gate and out comes the WB. Paying close attention to the method I use to pull the rope (as to not fray it again) I get started.

Back and forth, back and forth.....got to get this yard pretty..owner coming home from vacation. Half way across the front yard and BANG....THE FREAKIN TIRE BLOWS!!!!!!

Well...now this is interesting. I mean FLAT....slime all over the place from a previous nail hole fix......DID YOU KNOW THAT STUFF STAYS LIQUID???? I didn't.

So now the WB WILL NOT MOVE under its own power due to the tire breaking the bead..........imagine a chewed up tire here.......cut the mower off and tried to "manhandle" it. NO GO!

Decide that the best course of action is to get the trailer and back it into the yard, dang tire tracks in yard now, and get it as close as I could. ONCE AGAIN try to "manhandle" the mower into the trailer. NO GO!!!

Did I mention I work alone?? The neighborhood I was working in is for lack of better words built in the woods and well no neighbors around ANYWHERE to ask for help.

Gated community so my buds would have to go through the BS at the gate IF THEY are home. Hmmmmmm

Thank goodness that there was a house framing crew just down the street and that they were nice guys...

Well me, two construction workers, a little cussin, and a lot of sweat and the WB was finally in the trailer.

Now I gotta tell you loading a WB in an enclosed trailer with no motor power and a flat tire is a chore......remember that if you are ever thinking of trying it for fun.....

Well for tonight the WB is sitting on a jack with "FIX TIRE" as the first thing on my scheduale for tomorrow. This ought to be fun.

Anyway...thats a little of the "great" day I had.....hope yours was better! :help:

2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

lol your taking it well. I hate Murphy!

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

That really sucks! I push my WB up my gate most of the time but that just me. I can't even imagine with a flat tire in the middle of a yard. Sorry about your day, i hope the fix goes easy and no more problems come your way for now!

4. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

my scag w/b had a slow leak on the left side sure enough this happened to me too.but i had my rider with me tied a rope to the w/b a finally after many many attemps of jerking got it on the trailer.it's a b1tch aint it.

5. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Glad you've got a good sence of humor. Had a similar problem in July two years ago. Riight wheel on my 48" Skag wb went flat and broke the bead from one side of the rim. I was about 400' slightly down hill from the trailer. I (yeah, I work solo too) somehow I got it to pull enough while the rim turned, to get it up the hill and back on the trailer. befnme said, "it's a ***** aint it." That's kind of an understatement. It's a big one! Shot the better part of two hours by the time I was on the road again.

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We used to keep a crazy carpet in our van for pulling broken equipment. It's a plastic slide that rools into a coil to store. Now we use two mowers.

7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Murphy.... Hmmmm.....

You get more with a kind word and a gun than just a kind word :waving:

"shoot" for a better day in the A.M. Merlin, get out there and get 'em

8. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

when moving the walkbehind do u just push it as is or do u disengage the hydros first...... with the hydros diesengaged its not that hard to move.... with out the flat.... with the flat maybe some resistance.... if its belt drive then why not take the belts off??? just asking ...not ranting on you... i know what u mean on the flat tires though i get them all the time... ilike everyother week LOL dont know how or where but nails, screw sidewall blowouts.... im clueless....

9. Poppy

Poppy LawnSite Member

Although I am not in business yet, one thing that I have learned from my hours of reading as much as I can here is that Mower tires are magnets for nails, glass, staples, etc.... With my first mower, standard equipment will be a mounted spare tire and a repair kit. I have seen many posts which condone the use of a a can of flat-fix but I have always felt that was not a good solution. It seems that the cost of a spare tire mounted on a rim and aired up and ready to go would pay for itself with the first use. I am planning also to have a gallon of soapy water stored on the trailer along with a cheap 12 volt compressor and a tire plug kit just like is used on automotive tires. The only thing I have not figured out is how to jack up the mower to change the tire right where it happens in order to change the tire. I guess it will take a piece of 1/2" plywood and a small bottle jack and a socket wrench to make this complete. Maybe there is a market for lawn mower jack kits or neverflat lawn mower tires that someone here could get rich on.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's funny, but I've had days like that myself and yes, fix-a-flat is one liquid MESS when (emphasis on when) the tire finally gives out. Far as the rope breaking, I run a semi-leaded racing fuel anymore but even before, super unleaded helped alleviate that problem considerably as I don't have to THINK of pulling carefully, an easy pull is all it takes.

One thing I did in the past is when a day starts off to where I haven't got much done in the first 3-4 hours, I head home and call it a day.