1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PLEASE need quick feedback, getting new mower tomorrow...??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by abbzer0, Mar 7, 2011.

1. abbzer0

abbzer0 LawnSite Member

Okay - I know this is last minute, BUT... I am planning to drive 225 miles tomorrow (each way) to get a Land Pride (repainted/branded Hustler Mini Z) zero turn. 52" Deck, and 24HP Honda Engine. It has 223 hours on the clock. A guy got it in trade when his neighbor moved away, and has been one owner this whole time. (He has 2 other zero turns, and doesn't really need the third, so is selling it.) He has agreed to sell it to me for $3,100.

I currently have an Exmark Viking 48" Walkbehind, and am totally fine with it. I always WANTED something faster, but I like walking the few accounts I have for the exercise. I have sever carpel tunnel, and using my hands to grip really aggravates it, so I have decided to get a riding mower instead. (I have used Scag, White, and Exmark riders in the past, FYI...)

I am just looking for some feedback here. It seems like a really good price/value here. Any input on pulling the trigger?

2. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

repainted? with only 223 hrs on it?...i don't get it..shouldn't be any paint off of it in that short of time
  3. abbzer0

abbzer0 LawnSite Member

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my description... I meant that the only difference between the "Landpride" mower and a regular "Hustler" apparently is the color of paint they used in manufacturing. The Landpride one is more of a creamy yellow, while the Hustler version is completely Yellow. It has not been RE-painted. Thanks for your quick response though!
  4. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

its a hustler with land pride paint on it
    i understand I cant help you to pull trigger My self I dont buy used stuff
  5. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

It's been quite a few years since Hustler had an agreement to build mowers for LandPride. I would find out what year this one was built. Might affect what you want to pay. One other thing, the deck on this LandPride will be shallower like the older Hustler decks.

Not sure who LandPride used to build their mowers after Hustler pulled out.
  6. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

oh i'm sorry..i had never heard of landpride before so i didn't get it lol..
  7. abbzer0

abbzer0 LawnSite Member

I am never TOO worried about low hour, used mowers as long as they are well taken care of. In the $3,100 price range, have you seen anything comparable to this in value? I need to get a rider before the spring cuts start, so I don't hurt my hands. I'm afraid if I don't jump on this now, I might now find another deal. I did find one Scag Tiger Cub with just over 1,000 hours on it for $2,800. But I feel that is over-priced for the amount of hours. ??

Again, thank you all for your input!
  8. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

What year? I'm pretty sure Hustler quit building the Landpride mowers in 05. I did have a 03 Landpride which was a Hustler Fastrac. It was a 52" with the 20 or 24 HP [can't remember] Honda. It was a decent small frame mower. It cut at lower heights great but was not too good at heigher heights. I sold it in 08 to my stepsister and they still use it.
  9. dgfitz

dgfitz LawnSite Member

Kubota has a partnership with Landpride now.
  10. abbzer0

abbzer0 LawnSite Member

The guy's neighbor is the one who got it. He is not 100% sure of the year.. I am thinking (as stated) 03-05. Does anybody know how the cut would be compared to my 48" Exmark walkbehind? The low HP (15) of my Exmark (w/ 15HP Kawa engine) makes it difficult in wet conditions too.. I am hoping the 24HP Honda Engine could make quick work in the thick/wet stuff. If this is not a good buy, I would spend $3,500 on a new(er) model of mower that will do a better job.