Please please help............

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bama connection, May 29, 2005.

1. bama connection

bama connection LawnSite Member

First...... I am "just" a homeowner that consistently reads the great info on Lawnsite.

I have an EMERGENCY question, and I do not know who or where to get help.

My obese, female, yet wealth, neighbor recently decided to get married to a white trash idiot roofer. He has now made her home THEIR home. Let's just say, our neighborhood happens to be alot different than anywhere he has lived before.

Well, this SOB, dumped the entire bucket of ice-cream rock salt out on my beautiful St. Augustine grass.

I was walking around the side of my house, and I could not believe what I was seeing. It had to have been there for over 12+ hours. Lucky for them, they are still not home. I quickly got what salt I could up with a shovel, then watered the heck out of it. I did some googling and read to put 1/2 cup of non-bacterial dish soap per gallon of water on the area...waited a while then watered like crazy.

It's the holiday weekend, and ya'll are the professionals....so please help.....Is there ANYTHING that I can do to help my grass....

Another problem is that my side yard drains into my backyard......I have a beautiful hibiscus that was only 7 feet "downstream" from the salty water.

Thank anyone for any help that you can give......My yard is beautiful and I hope to keep it that way without killing the man or having to sue him/her for being liable.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

First thing would/ve been to do is take pictures, but that's neuther here nor there, now. After you picked it all up, and watered it, did you spray it as in to help disperse it, or just water straight down (spreading it would have been best). What would've worked real well would be a shop vac. Anyway, you will want to apply gypsum. It is available in powder or a convenient pelletized form. There are several (lawn) products out that contain it. One is called "Correct", I believe. You have to apply it rather heavily in extreme cases (I don't believe yours will be, now). The heavy application rate calls for around 40# per a 100 (one hundred) sq.ft. area. Good luck with it, and always remember to "love thy neighbor". Atleast he's keeping Erma happy.

3. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

"Good Morning & Happy Hoilidays", now that the grass issue has been taken care of.........it seems for some reason you dont like your "Fat Neighbor" or her choice in "Men".......The couch is open........1st.....not all people are natural lawn / home owners?....Did you Welcome them to the neighborhood? [ I think not?].........I'd invite them over for a cool glass of tea at the least, show them your lawn, so they can see how anal some people are?....With that the low down roofer/ moocher might take heed next time before dumpin his crap on your "Pride & Joy"......lol,lol,lol.in stead of bein adversaors, try alittle sugar dude [ its only grass we are talkin about?] & its a Holiday?- Good Luck :rolleyes:

4. bama connection

What would you do if your neighbor dumped a 2-3 gallon bucket of large rock-salt over 8-10 feet of a very visable section of your yard?

Just brush it off??

Well, I happen to be very nice to them. Cut their grass when her mower broke down, gave them 3 of my extra tomato plants just 2 weeks ago, BUT he is just sour to everyone on the street because he was told by several other neighbors that he could and would NOT be allowed to park all three of his commercial roofing trucks in his back yard.

If I am the anal one here, why did Mrs Obese Neighbor come knocking on my door 3 weeks ago asking why I had accidentally planted an azealea 4-6 inches over onto her property?

I immediately pulled my plant up and apologized for my not knowing the EXACT property line? A few days later is when I gave them the mater plants.

Unknowingly dumping and leaving damaging rock salt on a neighbors yard is inexcusable. IF they were just emptying the bucket, why not do so on their own property? Why leave it laying there for over 12+ hours?

I can only be a nice neighbor for so long before I get the round-up out!! HaHa

5. bama connection:

First, Runners damage control advice is right on target.

Second, I don't think you are being "obtuse" here. You take pride in your lawn, and it seems you put forth a fair amount of work into it. You are well within your rights to expect that no one apply salt to your lawn.

If my neighbor placed salt on my lawn, it would greatly upset me. I would perceive that act as attempted vandalism, perhaps even attempted malicious destruction of property.

If this happened to me I would even consider filing a police report.

At the very least, I would inform them I am aware of what they did and that sort of behavior crosses the line of civil decency and has strained our "good neighbor" relationship.

You sound intelligent and you are closer to the situation then I am, I suspect you will handle your neighbor the best way possible.

But I am sure that the "Round Up" comment was just a joke...

6. bama connection

Thanks for the advice.

After shoveling-up as much salt as possible, I stood at the top of my sloping sideyard trying to dilute and direct the salty drainage away.

Like I mentioned earlier, I am also worried about the backyard because of the natural flow of my property.

One note, there are 40+ dead earthworms out there. That doesn't look too good. There is an overcast here today, and the real damage I fear will occur and become visable as soon as that scorching Alabama sun hits it.

I will follow your any any other directions to a TEE.

Thank you very much.

WBG

7. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

You've got some good advise here. Soak the snot out of it and try and dilute the salt as much as possible. Since you're on speaking terms with the neighbors, I'd go over and tell them that what was done to your lawn was an act of vandalism and if that is the way they want to conduct themselves in the neighborhood then the authorities will be notified the next time. You've then made your position clear. Give the wanker enough rope to hang himself. If he's as bad as you say, that won't take long. Document everything, pictures are hard to dispute when you go to court. Good luck and because I've been in a similar situation- I feel your pain.

8. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Put up security cameras to catch him in the act, those are impossible to dispute and are relarively cheap nowadays. What I have found that also helps is a privacy fence or fast growing row of barrier shrubs.(If the situation permits that is.) A mean dog on a chain also works. LOL!!

9. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is what I would have done (it being a holiday weekend and all)

1. Get lawn chair.
    2. set lawn chair by the salt
    3. get drinking glass
    4. get margarita mix
    5. get lots of tequila
    6. sit in lawn chair
    7. wet rim of glass
    8. TURN GLASS OVER
    9. DIP GLASS IN THE SALT
    10. MAKE A MARGARITA IN THE GLASS
    11. ENJOY THE WEEKEND :drinkup:

10. Runner