1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"please put down grub killer"

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbyge, Aug 23, 2008.

1. bobbyge

bobbyge LawnSite Member
    from france

customer called and asked for grub killer to be applied. now, her primary grass type is a nutsedge and crabgrass mix. i explained that i didn't think she should be concerned about grubs. she insisted regardless that i apply. would you? and what
  2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Time to break out the kitty litter Bobby.
  3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I would. If they're adamant and you've plead your case, then you may as well make some money. You can't fix stupid.
  4. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't apply it at all - unless you find grubs. Aren't we supposed to follow the label, which is the law?
  5. whoopassonthebluegrass

Yeah. Which would mean a significant # of applications/treatments would prove ineffective. Aren't you always supposed to comply with speed limits? Aren't you supposed to record all cash payments? Aren't you supposed to itemize the minutes of all business lunches?

I know there are those who will disagree, but there are some things that look good on paper and serve as a guard to keep us in check...

And THEN there are real world practices. I don't know about you, but I'm in this to make money. If a service calls for something extra, then do it. I'd bet 90% of us know this to be a business reality - whether folks will admit to it or not.
  6. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Doctors prescribe unnecessary medicines for things like common colds..

If they tell the 'stupid patient' (as appears in this case) that it isn't needed and they wont do it.. the patient will simply find another doctor that complies...

Bobby already tried to educate the customer who still wants it.
  7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

#1- If you educate the customer...this should't even be an issue.

I see what you are saying....but how do you put down a PREVENTATIVE grub treatment if that is the case? If you wait to see grubs or damage then you are too late?

I mean that is like saying we shouldn't put down PRE EMREGERNT CRAB in early April because there isn't any crabgrass (but it hasn't germed yet). Lets wait and see if it comes up and then put it on!

Does that make sense?

That is just my take...although I do think IPM is important!
  8. whoopassonthebluegrass

I wish... If my customers actually took the advice they solicited from me I'd be ecstatic. Proper watering, alone, would make me the happiest guy in the industry...
  9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I think watering is more laziness then anything. We can train and educate the customer all day and they may even undestand...but they don't want to take the time to do it! I don't blame them though....I don't water my lawn!

I see this as being a little different when getting to applications. Training and education is needed so they understand the "why's".

You guys would kill me if you seen how many grub apps I "turn down".

I do a lot of mole control, and the first thing people want me to do is get rid of their grubs (even with the mole control).

I explain to them about the moles eating habits and even then some still question me! I tell them...if I am trying to talk you out of my service then is has to benefit you!

Then they believe me and I also think this is a great way to build trust with them!

I love being honest and educating my customers! It is the best feeling I get out of my job!
  10. bobbyge

bobbyge LawnSite Member
    from france

done. $75 for 2 lbs of starter fertilizer. now now, some of you may say, "starter fertilizer doesn't kill grubs." i beg to differ.......i'm certain by tommorow at this time, you will not find any grubs in that lawn