1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Please read... need lots of sugestions... thanks

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bryce_sk8_12236, Sep 28, 2006.

1. bryce_sk8_12236

bryce_sk8_12236 LawnSite Member

So, I am 16 years old. I have a lawn buisness running already. My problem is this:
    I dont know what mower to get for doing around 20-40 lawns a week.
    Please help.
    I need a reliable, good quality, fast, dependable, etc. mower.
    Please let me know what good mowers are out there for around 35 lawns a week.
    PRETTY IMPORTANT THO..... I need it 2 be a rider not a walk behind.
    I had a lot of questions on my last thread...
    so heres some more info..
    i have 10 lawns currently which i haave been maintaining for the last few years
    I have a truck, 2 weedwackers, a blower, a john deere spin steer rider,
    a john deere x304, and some other things
    i want 2 grow as a buisness until i am 21 or until collge....
    but i hav the problem of skool which only gives me a certain amount of time 2 cut in the school year so my client number will be somewat limited...
    any suggestions for this type of buisnes would be awesome
    i am hiring 1 kid 2 help me in the school year, but still i wil only b able 2 hav around 25 customers....
    what riding mower would be good for this type of buisness because i dont want 2 hav a walk behind mower...
    since im only 16 i hav been checking for slightly used mowers cause those can save me money....
    but also i need help on regestering my buisness, and where i can get cheap insurance

**i love this sight!
  2. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Why does it need to be a rider? Because...if they are an acre or less...a Quick 36 would work perfectly...plus they are priced to be affordable, and built to be dependable.
  3. bryce_sk8_12236

i relly want a rider because then i jst drive around and i dont have 2 walk around.... another words im lazy....
    plus a lot of my lawns r BIG.. over 3 acres....
    so i relly need a riding mower....
    thats all i hav 2 say
  4. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

do you bag? if you do id say the gravely 148Z or 152Z or also a simplicity. also look at the write stander. ill have more info if you bag or not.
  5. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

a quick question, how much do you average off of your 10 yards? secondly, you need to check your states laws about employees. you may have to do the whole workmans comp thing. for insurance, call around and ask if they offer liability and go from there. i don't think you can get it though being 16.
  6. bryce_sk8_12236

my 10 lawns take around 12 hours tops.... but they r all around my house so i drive my mower 2 them
    next year ill b able 2 leave the neighborhood... YES!!
    which means a lot more cutsomers
  7. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i was wanting to know how much you make off of the yards. that way i can help you with your pricing. if you get a ztr then you'll need to make sure your pricing is up to par.
  8. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

are you can get a 44z
  9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

:) your 16, you cant hire employees, because your not old enough to run a legal business, you arent going to get insurance at your age, and you arent old enought to register your business name, now all states vary some in the laws..... check them out, i could be wrong where your at.... but insurance isnt going to happen, and any kid here who tells you they have busines liability insurance is not being honest

why don't you put out more flyers, get some more customers, buy a few nice pieces of equipment, and have some fun with this, stop trying to take it too seriously....

and what about school.... sorry but for a guy your age your spelling is HORRIBLE.......

just slow down, i know its exciting but you have your whole life ahead of you to work... play some sports, date some girls.... your only a kid once.... now you have great ambition, and that will help you in anything you do...
  10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Dave, If I slow down can I date some girls?? If my wife askes I will say you said I could!!:laugh:

Bryce- you can ride a velke behind a W/B and be as fast if not faster on smaller lots and save a lot of money.