please read this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lamonicaslawnservice, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Does everyone usually just call up commercial places and see if their taking bids or not? or is there another way to find out if they are? please help :confused:
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

From what Iv'e found over the years. Yes, you just cold call them, ask for the manager or owner and flat out ask if they are looking for bids on their lawncare. You rarely pick up commercial work otherwise. Being aggressive is the only way.

Now the flipside... Are you possibly going to be stepping on other lawn guys' toes? Are you going to have to lowball to get the jobs? Yes to both. Most commercial properties simply want cheap service, if you are cheaper, most of the time you have the job. If the goy doing it before you finds out what you are doing you get a bad name in the town amoung the other lawn guys. If this dosn't bother you in the least, congrats, you are a true businessman. If you know that you can lowball in the door and then add on extras to make up for it, if you know that you can sweet talk them and make them retain you till you eiter sell out or die, then you win.

I see it here with most commercial properties. And it's why I don't bother even chasing them.
  3. Carolina Green

Carolina Green LawnSite Member

I know the dealership I work for is always looking for someone cheaper. If someone is 10bucks cheaper they will switch especially this year with buisness being way down. Seems to me it isn't worth it if you never know when someone is going to come in a low ball and get your contract.
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Think you could maybe use something more useful than "please read this" in the subject line of the thread? If we all did that nobody'd be able to get much done here.
  5. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

how does that Gravely 144 cut compare to your eXmark on Zoysia, Bermuda and St. Augustine? Also, have you ever used any Redmax stuff? If so do you still prefer Echo?

I value your opinion on equipment.
  6. no one else was answering my other posts so yes i had to use that. I needed help. Sorry it anoyed you though
  7. hey carolina green I was calling around for insurance today and the cheapest I found was 550 for the year for 1 million dollar coverage
  8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

lamonica - even though I am from the Midwest....keep trying to get quotes on GL coverage. I have $500K for $135 annual. Seems that you should be able to get $1mil for under $300.
  9. oh ok..I will keep checking.. thank you..What company do you use?
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 13,494 could spend a bunch of extra time calling them to ask them if they are taking bids, and taking up their time in doing so, as well. OR, you could just take a pro-active approach and configure up a pre-made proposal template and letters for each type of introduction, and just send them. It has been my experience that one call to see who is responsible,...but do NOT "ask" if they are taking bids....THIS is the way to go. They receive this nice, formal proposal in the mail (or hand delivered) accompanied by an introduction letter, and I can tell you,...they are usually rather impressed that this much attention and time was devoted to them (even though it just seems that way). This is very simple to do, and you can do several a day. Back when I used to do this more, I would just go out to areas and survey properties (turf area, shrubs/ornamentals, walks, etc.). I would document it and move on to the next. At night, I would figure up the bid(s), and type them out. Document the date that each property is sent out, and make a follow up call approximately 10 days later (This give 3 day delivery time and 1 week for them to have it). It was ALWAYS easy to land work this way. Just make sure you have your stuff together, and don't send any slouch looking proposals. I've seen many that look like they were written up by a 13 year old.
    Much of this info is in chapter 3 of my book.