1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Please reccomend a Stihl Chainsaw

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by recycledsole, Aug 28, 2014.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Hey guys,
    What I am looking for is a lightweight, reliable chainsaw mostly for using on the ground for smaller stuff, but rarely in the tree as well.

I have 2 main saws right now and im thinking of selling them all for 1 mid size, light weight saw.

ms201T (14"): nice and light and small, but lacks control with top handle design.
    ms290(18"): great saw but very heavy. I would use this all the time if it was light. If this was half the weight this is the saw I am looking for.

I think I would like to get one with 16"-18" bar, but not stuck at that.
    I see there is the ms150 c-e which is super light at 6.1lb, but it only has a 12" bar. I don't like that because occasionaly I need to cut larger diameter stuff like 24"-30". And I am not sure if that saw is a good one or not, it is under the 'farm and ranch' section on stihls website.

Thanks for any help.

2. pdreibels

pdreibels LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind that just because a chainsaw comes with a certain size bar doesn't mean you cant put a different size on it. For instance I bought an ms290 and the dealer switched out the 18 for a 20in at no charge. I have a little echo with only a 30something cc engine that runs a 16in bar just fine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons LawnSite Bronze Member

MS250, i think its the top of the line homeowner saw, 50cc with a 14,16, or 18" bar available. I have one (16") and i was attracted to the price most of all, i wanted something that i could give to my son in 20 years without breaking the bank but also being strong enough to cut anything i could find

4. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

The 260 pro is my go to saw for fallen limbs and small trees. Plenty of power lightweight and can run up to a 20 bar. I have an 18 on mine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. pdreibels

Just saw the ms150 is only 23cc...I wouldn't go that route if I were you. That's the size engine of a smaller weedie. Probably wouldn't be able to put a 16in bar on it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons LawnSite Bronze Member

how much were you looking to spend?

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

You're kind of asking for a all around saw that doesn't exist. Lightweight and agile is not going to do 2ft and up logs. Top handles excel for aloft work and light groundwork. An 18 or longer bar is too unwieldly when climbing. I would go a larger top handle and upsize the bar on the 290 for your heavy work. No one saw will do it for your situation.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

9. pdreibels

Take it for what you want but I have a 191t with a 14in bar and the thing is awesome for working on the ground. Just because its a top handle doesnt mean you can only use it with 1 hand. The current 192t is 30 something cc and can handle a 16in bar. And its also a more narrow bar/chain so you arent gonna have any serious kickback to worry about. The 191 is always my go to saw with stuff up to 20in or so
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Thanks for everyones responses. I want something lighter than the ms290 (which I guess they stopped making and replaced with ms291. I think its 12 or 13lbs. The top handle saws are nice, but I am concerned about kick back. I have had a serious accident with that saw. That is the one I use the most (90% on the ground) and its nice and light weight and compact. I just want a regular handle.
    As I have 3 saws I could sell I don't have a budget, I want something good and light weight. Seems like 16" bar might be the best way to go. Or maybe just keep 2 saws. and get rid of the 660