Please recommend a good 21" mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Fine Gardens Landscaping, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Fine Gardens Landscaping

Fine Gardens Landscaping LawnSite Member

I am starting a lawn maintenance business and would appreciate some suggestions as to which mower I should get. I live in the SF Bay Area and we don't have a lot of lawn here. Usually just small ones. So I'm sure that a 21" commercial self propelled will be ideal.

In the past I've used commercial Honda's and Toro mowers (don't remember exact brands). They both seemed to be mechanically reliable but not ideal in some ways.

Honda - Had great vacuum and made a nice cut but the bag is small and fills up too quick plus it was pretty heavy and would rut up the lawns sometimes when they were wet.

Toro - Was lighter and had a good size bag. This mower did not have a good vacuum though and would kind of just mulch the leaves back onto the lawn if they were too many leaves.

Those are the only two mowers I have experience with. Please feel free to add some suggestions and tips for me.

Thanks!

2. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate my Snapper 21" commercial.

It cuts beautiful, but I hate the controls on it. If you hit something that stops you, you can expect to be impaled on the 6" piece of metal that sticks out at you, or what Snapper calls the self propelled drive lever.

I've never been much too concerned with bagging, I rarely bag. However, I've never owned the Toro nor the Honda, but from what I heard, I've been learning to the Honda HRC series. I've heard good word about the cut quality and the hydrostatic drive system.

Either way, my advice is to go demo some units. Thats the best way to go.

3. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

eXmark 28"!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    oh you wanted a 21" eXmark 21"

4. Fine Gardens Landscaping

Glad to hear a review of a snapper mower. That is one of the mowers I was considering.

ajslands,

You seem to be recommending the exmark 21". Can you elaborate a bit why you like this mower/ what's good about it in your opinion?

Thx

5. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I run the honda HRC commercial mowers and have never had any problems. My first from the early 90's still starts first pull. The commercial mowers are heavier but hold up well during hard everyday commercial use. The quad cut blades are awesome even in wet grass, amazing cut. Hydrostatic trans is smooth and has easy to use controls on the hondas as well. Just be prepared to drop around $1200 for a new one!

6. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Well you said you tried a toro, and toro does own exmark but exmark still remains seperate from toro. Also I like the color red. Why dnt you demo a couple push mowers and find what suites you best...
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with my Snapper Commercial mower...I love the infinite variable speeds and the easy maintenance. It also cuts very well and no other mower will bag like a hi-vac.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

If Exmark has a 28" inch mower make sure you test it first...the 26" was a heap.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. tfarris

tfarris LawnSite Member

I have a 21" commercial toro and its alright, it gets the job done. Doesnt do to well in wet or high grass but neither does anyother bagging mower. My buddy has 3 of the 21" inch commercial hondas and he loves them. Ill probably be getting two of the hondas once my toro bites the dust. Its on its 3 year and is still running strong though. Over all the toro is a good mower.

10. Fine Gardens Landscaping

Looks as though the Honda may be the way to go on this one. It looks like they now offer a larger size bag then they use to back in the day when I had one of these. The mower looks really solid and well designed and prob worth the extra money.