Please recommend tire for more traction

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by BigDave, Jul 5, 2003.

1. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Terry, Dustin, or Fred,

Can you give me a tire recommendation for someone (me) who wants to increase traction a bit at the expense of turf damage ... on an '03 LHP 52/23.

I am thinking perhaps a bar tire. I know that they're notorious for turf damage ... which I certainly am still concerned about ... yet the Dixie Choppers come stock with bar tires, and no one seems to be complaining too much.

Thanks very much.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Big Dave,

My recommendation would be to contact a local tire wholesaler. Quite often they will have access to tires from several different manufacturers and they’re various tread patterns.

When we performed our tire testing over the past couple of years we've focused on turf tires rather than the more aggressive patterns your looking for. It would be difficult to recommend a tire for your specific application without further research and testing.

Thanks

Terry

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Exmark may scold me for this but I added about 30 lbs or so to the back frame of my Lazer HP to improve traction. MY '03 unit, for some reason, maybe the tires, just seems to have less grip than my '98 unit did. So far it seems to help noticeably when making fast turns at ends of rows. No slipping tires in zero turns like before. I used the weight bar off a ryan core aerator strapped down to the hole in the frame near the back. So far no clearance problems and I don't think it's enough weight to cause it to raise up on hills. The long tail will prevent a flip anyway, I think, since it will act as a wheelie bar on the mower.

Btw, I have to reverse my opinion on Lazers vs. HP's. I think I prefer the hp for its faster turns, lower center of gravity, tighter package, and much more sensitive steering (smaller motors?) I finally got mine back from the shop and it cut some tough wet yards with few problems. Perhaps slightly slower and less capable on tall grass, but the advantages outweigh the big lazer on small/medium lawns. I had to be more careful with the big lazer to avoid damage and had a harder time staying straight.

4. eXmark

Baaaad Bruce32, scold, scold, scold.

You can't see it right now but I have my stern look on my face and I'm typing in a firm and loud manner. I'm sure you're feeling very badly right about now regarding your actions.

We can't condone adding the weight because we're not sure exactly what 30-lbs. will do to the handling of the mower or if it will effect any of the ANSI rules.

I'll be talking with engineering a little more about this one. Maybe they can give us some more definitive answers

Just make sure your staying safe guys.

Thanks

Terry

5. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have to really "Baby" my Lazer , or it slides and / or spins the tires bad when trying to make a 3 pt turn.

Maybe fluid in rear tires? Would this pull the hydros too much?

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, after another day of testing, I did notice it get "light" up front when I ran it up a steep hill, so maybe the weight isn't a great idea in back. Centered over the wheels, maybe, but I can't find a good spot for it there, so it's come off for good.

7. eXmark

Altalawncare,

Adding fluid will add traction to the rear of the mower that is fairly certain.

The question is how else will it effect the lawnmower? Our opinion on this subject has changed of the years (we learn to once in a while) and we would not recommend it. The liquid could dramatically add to the load on each drive wheel. It would also reduce the amount of “cushion” in each tire which would make the ride a bit rougher for the operator as well as adding to the strain on the components.

We think that would be a bad thing. Depending upon the liquid being added you must also consider whether or not it is corrosive to the wheel or the tire. Many of the liquids used in construction equipment can kill the grass if you should get a puncture.

All of these must be considered and I’m not sure if the pluses = the minuses on this one.

Thanks

Terry

8. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, Terry.

I'll just have to take it easy on the turns.

9. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

The real question,
    What is the maximum operator weight for an HP?
    What would be the difference of adding, say 30lbs at the right location or having an operator weighing 30 lbs more. Just a thought, I’m thinking no difference.

10. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Terry,

Recently, I started a new method of mowing my slope - I now mow down the hill in reverse, and then forward back up it. Though it's not fun, it's reduced my slippage significantly, and I don't fear for falling off my retaining wall nearly as much.

So, I'm holding off on the bar tires, and am now looking for a turf tire for my '03 Lazer HP 52/23 that will give me more traction, while still being easy on the turf. Any recommendations? Any thoughts on the Carlisle Turf Master, Turf Chief, or Turf Pro?

I think that my biggest problem is that grass gets compacted in my tire grooves - and that happens because the grass is damp - but the thing is, in my area, the grass has been damp every single day this spring/summer.

If anyone else has any recommendations, I would love to hear them too. Thanks.