Please settle a debate ASAP

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by wakesetter2001, May 14, 2007.

1. wakesetter2001

wakesetter2001 LawnSite Member

In a system being installed from a well with a pressure tank and filter, do you cut in your main line before the pressure tank and filter or after?

2. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

I would always cut in after the pressure tank and most likely after the filter as well depending on the quality of the water. Plumber made the mistake last year of tying in before the filter on a well with a high content of sand. Result was replacing almost all of the rotors and having to send him back to redo his work.

But well systems are once and a blue moon around here so hopefully others will chime in.

3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

after..no doubt about that..

from what ive seen all applications are after..and i turn on about 100 wells a year...

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

You would start your irrigation main after the pressure tank and filter so you get their benefits.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Better yet would be a connection point upstream of the house filter, with an outdoor strainer installed in the sprinkler supply line. Sprinklers don't need micron water filtering. 100 mesh would protect rotors and popups.

6. speedbump

speedbump LawnSite Member

I would like to know what kind of filter we're talking about. If it's a water softener or an iron filter, charcoal filter etc. they have a flow rate that would be far below any sprinkler zone. Beside that, it would plug the

Teeing into the pipe anywhere after the pump (as long as there is no check valve at the tank) will work fine. If you need some kind of filter, put it in the dedicated line. Don't use a house filter for sprinklers, it would certainly not be able to handle the flow you need.

bob...

7. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

What speedbump says. Get a dedicated filter outside the house that the homeowner can turn the valve on to blow out debris.

It is a waste to have the water go through home filtration.

Be careful of wells with high iron content though as they will stain everything they touch. Concrete, wood, vinyl... if it gets hit, it will stain

8. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

It makes no difference if you tap before or after the tank as long as there is no check valve at the tank. I would tie in before any house filter and install one for the irrigation, most house filters will not handle the demand the irrigation requires after awhile.

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

You might want to PM Critical Care to take a look and see exactly what you have since he's up your way.

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The Winner :)

A pressure tank is not an "In and Out" tank, theoritically, the entire pipeline is a component of it.

I have installed hundreds of systems where the tap was outside by the wellhead, while the pressure tank is inside in the basement.

All that matters is that there is no checkvalve between the tank, and where you tap.

Don't ever run irrigation water through a home filtration/water softener/aireator etc. Its a total waste, and will reduce the flow drasticly.