please skip my lawn this week because....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 25, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

talk about insanity. this is the call i got last thursday:" bob, this is ms. numbnuts, skip my lawn this week ok? the reason is, it is forcast for alot of rain the next few days, and i don't see the sense in cutting it, because with all the rain it will grow back so fast." ;) wonderful, so when i went there today it was 10 inches high. one pass, clumps everywhere, see ya later. what are the nutty reasons people have given you to skip a cut?

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

ROTFLMAO HA HA HA HA HA man u sure get all the nuts

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

People like that should not be allowed to handle sharp objects :dizzy:

4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Had a customer call me and asked if I could skip next week because fall is here. HUH?!?! I simply replied that "the grass will keep growing, it may slow some but I looked at yoursyesterday as I passed by and it looks like it's really growing with the rain we've had" customer then asked "well doesn't the grass quit growing in the fall?" I had to hold back my laughter, but simply replied back, "no, that would be winter...I'll see you Tuesday" customer said, "okay".

You get all kinds... :dizzy:

Buck

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My favorite one is, "we're gonna be away on vacation for the next 2 weeks Rod...you can skip us." I am like, "huh, excuse me, but just because you are not going to be around DOES NOT, repeat, DOES NOT means your grass stops growing...helllooo!!!"

I just love some of these propellor heads.

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

BG
    I can't believe you skipped it I would charge her double for the day or for the full month depending on how you do your billing.

7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Like Rodfather, I had a customer tell me to skip cutting for 2 weeks while they were gone. He said it wouldn't need cutting while he was away (I'm still trying to figure out that logic) and to start back up after he returned. After 3 weeks went by they called and asked when I was going to cut the lawn. I told them after they get someone to bush hog the lawn I'll go back to mowing every week. I haven't heard from that dumbazz since then. It never ceases to amaze me how stupid some people are.

8. Greenservice

Greenservice LawnSite Member

I have a customer who calls me every year right after Labor Day and says that he thinks we can go to every other week mowing now because it's Fall and the grass isn't growing. I always argue til he gives in and says for me to use my own judgement. This year I reminded him that it's still almost 80 degrees every day and we've had more rain than normal.

9. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

A few years ago before I started mowing solo, I worked for a guy who had 10 year old twin sons. He had a big gravity fed gas tank in his back yard that we used for all the equipment.

Around mid June that year we show up to work and his lawn has HUGE dead spots all over! His two sons got some kicks out of filling waterballons with the gas and tossing them at their older sister! I dont know if they actually hit her or not, but they sure missed on a lot of the throws.

We killed out the rest of the lawn for him (with Round Up not gas) waited 4 weeks and re-sodded the whole thing! We never mowed his property again that year. The sod never took after the "gas attack" and we started all over again in the spring. Glad the EPA never found out!

Brian

10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Had customer call me last night and wanted me to wait until after Jeanne came thru. Did not want to pay me twice to pick up limbs. I told her it would be twice as much if she waits until after storm, said OK, go figure.

Danny