Please some advice.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Diana B., Jul 28, 2006.

1. Diana B.

Diana B. LawnSite Member
    from 48059

Hello my name is Diana I am looking to start a lawn business the problem is I don't no where to start. I have the money to buy pretty much what I need for it but the problem is what is the most important things I would need to get and what type of equipment is the best to have. I am new to this just did some regular mowing with push mower on my days off. I just really don't know where to start please any help or advice would be great thank you. Mind boggled in Michigan.

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Hi Boggled, I mean Diana,
    You need to have a plan to get where you want to be-- therefore you need to know where it is you want to get to.
    If this is to be a full time gig - what is your income needs, how much business will it take to get there and at what price. Is your area able to support that business model. Can you produce the work to match that model.
    With that in mind where are your customers going to be and what will you need to service those customers. What extra work and expense is needed to support the business outside of mowing. The equipment is the easiest part of this job. Running the business-- getting the work-- keeping cash flowing the right way is where you will spend a lot of time.

How far along on your plan are you now?

3. Joe65

Joe65 LawnSite Member
    from nj

also being able to retain good help is tough in this business

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

AMEN!!!!!:laugh:

5. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

How big our the properties you'll be doing. 1\2 acre or less consider a 36-48 inch cut walkbehind,get a velke and practice in your own yard if you've never used one. Also will these properties have gates. Most 32-36 inch walkbehinds will fit thru them. If your properties will be 1\2 acre to 1 or more you might consider a nice 44-48 inch mini Z.T.R. mower. Get a good quality weedwhacker and backpack blower. Will you be working alone. Also you'll want to get some insurance and a tax I.D. number. GOOD LUCK !!:waving:

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with this, Diana. Also make sure you have/can get enough accounts to justify the cost of your equipment. DO NOT make the mistake of buying more than you have accounts to pay for it and be profitable, seen that mistake many times.