Please 'splain this to me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eruuska, Jun 28, 2005.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,

I just bought a Gravely WB, model GE1748FL. Very cool mower, like it a lot. It gave me a chance to ditch the very scrub-like disposable rider I had been using.

But I'm looking over the specs in the owner's manual, and something doesn't add up right. The book says that model GR1548FL has a cutting width of 47.25", while the GE1748FL has a cutting width of 52.50". But the parts manual shows both these mowers having identical decks and blades!

How can this be? ;) ;) ;)

Other than that, though, life is good!

2. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Do you own a tape measurererer????

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Blade off set is the answer. Mower blades are not side by side for if they were a strip would be left in the middle or the blades would hit. Mowers like the Walker that do have side by side blade are gear driven and timed not to hit. On a regular mower one blade is set just ahead of the other blade at an angle. Both deck use the same blade but have different over lap. Also there is what is called an angle deck. In this lay out the blade are side by side but to prevent a "Mohawk" in your lawn the deck is mounted at angle to the direction of travel. I am not good at drawing but I have tried to draw what I am talking about.

Non-anlged mower deck.JPG

Angled mower deck.JPG

4. eruuska

I understand the concept, but that's not the case here. The parts book says it's THE SAME DECK.

And I do own a tape measurererererer (several in fact, since every time I can't find mine I buy another one :cry: ). I'll measure it tomorrow and report back. Unless I don't.

5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Could be a typo. The technical writing could have been done in India or another country. 5.25 inches difference on paper is considerable.

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If it is a typo it most likey happen when some one was changing metric to SAE or metric to SAE.

7. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

It should be the exact same deck.

The "1548FL" means 15hp/48" FLoating deck.
    The "1748FL" means 17hp/48" FLoating deck.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Out of curiosity, see if the 52.5 is the OVERALL width of the deck. In specs, manufacturers usually give these dimensions. In that case, it is a typo.

9. eruuska

I measured the deck this morning and was disappointed to see that it measured at 48".

The weird thing is how it was listed in the owner's manual. On the specs page there is a grid, with a column for every mower model covered in the manual (32", couple each of 36" and 48"). On the row for "cutting width" all the cells for the 48" mowers have been merged *except* for the 1748FL, which has its own cell, as it were.

I don't think it's a metric-to-standard conversion issue, either, since it also lists the size in metric, and it's different as well.

So obviously it's some sort of mistake. The guy doing data entry for the manual was handed a piece of bogus crap by some other underling, and it made it through the fact-checking and editing process. I'm disappointed in losing the 5", but no so disappointed as I would be if I lost it somewhere else. :blush:

I'll get over it, and I still like my new mower!