Please Talk Me Into This.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lawn king, Oct 24, 2007.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Im good in the dump truck department, i do however need a new pick up badly. Im thinking about taking the plunge and buying an 08 gm duramax/allison 3500. My 02 tahoe is paid for, my dump is very close to paid off, my 1990 f350 is all done! Who has a duramax, do you like it, is it worth the big $$$ ? Thankx Scott.

2. WildRidge

WildRidge LawnSite Member

Picked up my first one this summer and wondered why I waited so long. The downshifting of the allison is a great feature on these trucks. I see about 16mpg towing in the city, best I got was 22 mpg on the way back from michigan. Ask for a 24 hr demo.

3. lawn king

Im looking at 37k for the single axle, nice interior package w/plow prep.

4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

5. lawn king

This is a print out from the dealer, they are looking for 37. I think this is a fair deal, hardly what i would call stripped?

08duramax.jpg

6. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I would definitely get 2 axles, tho. At any price. Too hard to balance on just one; every time you hit the brakes you scuff up the hood...:rolleyes:

7. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

what do you mean single axle? do you mean single real wheel? know as srw

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That price tag says 43707, I do see a '37' in there but not quite like "37,000"
    Something wrong with that truck if they only want 37,000...

The LEAST any reputable dealer would let a 43707 truck go for is 42395.
    That's a 3% off, that is the MOST dealers will take off, 2-3% is standard discount.
    Anyone who would have you believe they're giving you 15% off is either closing something out or something isn't being told here.

Maybe if they'd been upfront with me and told me why it's only 37, then I'd consider it.
    Otherwise I'd run from that like hot potato.

9. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

that is probally a good price. If you buy a new vehicle these days and only expect a 2-3% drop from retail, then let me go buy one and then sell it to you. You have to remember that there is probally a factory rebate on this thing, plus, i wouldn't pay a dime over invoice for something like this. The dealer has his hold back and will still make around $500 to $800 if he sells it at invoice. Personally, i wouldn't buy a new truck anyway. I would purchase one used and save the money. I just purchased a 2005 3500HD with the duramax, 4x4, dual rear wheel, with only 14k miles for $23,250. Granted it was only a work truck interior, the original sticker on this truck was right around what you are paying for that one. I bet if i took my time, i could find a similar truck to what you are looking for and probally get it for $34k. You just have to be patient. It took me 3 months to find mine. And when i get ready to sell it, i am in no danger of being upside down in it.

10. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

15% off sticker is the goal..........2-3% is a joke. I got just over 14% on mine. The truck you reference is a regular cab, I was thinking quad.

They'll hesitate on the price and say your're crazy and say you're asking for it to give it to you. I was getting up to walk out and they met my terms. I had a GMC I was going to look at and as I was getting up I qoute "what will it take to keep you from going to look at that GMC"......I told them my price and they met it. Then I got a 6.75% loan because I've got perfect credit.