Please tell me I am doing ok...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, May 1, 2003.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first year, I decided to go balls out, so I bought a 16 foot trailer with a Tiger Cub and Exmark Tracer, financed about $10K thru the bank and spent about $1500 on advertisements.. Results are 12 houses, 2 banks, 1 medium sized cemetery and a small village park...While it keeps me busy about a day and a half and and brings in about $500 per week and I am somewhat happy, it seems I find myself not sure if I am doing as good as I should be...

My only screw up this year was the cemetery, thought it was a 3 hour job and I bid $150, turns out it takes me about 4.5 hours...

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Keep it up.

Put out some fliers.

You'll get jobs on referrals if you do quality work and are consistent.

Sounds like you're doing fine to me.

3. grayghost_32

grayghost_32 LawnSite Member

Cemetaries are cheap in my area.That sounds like its about average.500.00 is'nt much for that kind of equipment though.

4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Its a good start, I wouldn't be discourgaed. Like GP said, quality work can be the best advertisment.

5. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, sort of second guessing myself as far as equipment purchases, but too late for that... Still hoping to pick up some new accounts, should I keep on passing out fliers????

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Wow. That's a jump start, actually. You want more work? Be out there DOING the work.... THAT's when people see you and approach to get your number and/or talk to you. Sounds like you're doing fine. If you still have some time, and you have some equipment you're pulling, and it's not working, then start stopping in to some of the places that look like they need the help. This is just merely hustling work. The early bird gets the worm. You see, there are 3 types of people in this world. There are those that make it happen. There are those that sit and watch it happen. And there are those that say. "Hey, what just happened?" Which one do YOU want to be?;)

7. grayghost_32

grayghost_32 LawnSite Member

This is only my third season.I started out about the same way you are.I would keep it up with the fliers.Name recognition,quality work both will get you word of mouth.It took me 2 years to find a forum.This is a great place to learn.

8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

You might want to try and be working when people are coming home. I am picking up more and more when the rain has me out longer in the afternoon/evening.

If you are out early like we all want to be, others cannot see you. They may like the job you do but just not stop and see who really does that job.

Just something working for me right now!

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Keep it goin! You're doing fine.

10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Sell them some extras. Do anyof your current accounts need something done? Edge/redge landscape beds, mulch beds, edge walks, aeration, trimming bushes, adding plants to the landscaping, over seeding, reseed bare spots?

I have found that some of these extras can be the difference between paying the bills and making some money.:D