Please tell me what you think about this. Busy intersection.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by amos_moses, Jun 21, 2007.

1. amos_moses

amos_moses LawnSite Member
    from AR

I have ended up with a commercial property at an EXTREMELY busy intersection in my town. I've been lurking on here for a couple of years and have gained a wealth of information from ya'll. The property is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an acre of bermuda and weeds. It is irrigated in three zones that encompass about a 20 or 30 ft area surrounding the building and a few other areas nears some walkways. The lawn is in full sun with no trees. Corporate is not willing to pay for ANY chemical treatment and I have to really work to convince them to pay for any significant services beyond the weekly mow. I am actually paid by a maintenance service company out of state and not the actual corporation. The property is a specialty retailer that has been around forever and everyone has been there. The intersection is the junction of a five lane thoroughfare and the on / off ramps of an interstate. Traffic backs up there every morning and evening. I have seen it take over 10 minutes to get through this area at rush hour. It has a very high traffic count it the red light is a long one.

I had begun to think about whether or not I should be trying to take better advantage of this property's location. I had wondered if it might be a good idea to offer the company to pay for chemical treatments out of my own pocket in exchange for them allowing me to put a sign by the road. Or, if they balk too much at that, I thought about (be gentle) only charging them as much to mow as the chemical company would charge me for the treatments, or maybe doing the whole shooting match for free. I would make a point to really doll the thing up and probably focus on putting a very nice stripe in it. I have no idea if people actually do this sort of thing or if it is a stupid idea. I welcome any suggestions. This my first year in business and I've already paid off all my equipment (used z-force 50", used trimmer, used trailer, etc) I have 13 accounts total which nets me $300-$400 per week. I think I could upgrade to commercial equipment if I needed too. I don't have any business related debt and I have good help ready if needed. I mow part-time. I have insurance.

I would appreciate genuine advice / feedback. TIA!!!

2. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

This sounds like a thread for topsites to post a book on.

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

What happens when they drop you? Then you're out that extra money. If you are really wanting it to look half-way decent, spray for the weeds & no fertilizer.

4. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Its funny how you play it safe by stating you lurked for years, have insurance and even asked for the replies to "be gentle". The reality of it is.......since its your first year Ill tell you straight. Remember this. Its very important so here it comes.

No one, EXCEPT you will give 2 ships how the lot looks when you cut it. If you are looking for name recognition, put your money to better use and instead of putting a sign (another idea that doesnt work) on the lawn and spraying them for free, why dont you letter your truck and park it on the lot or even on the grass for everyone to see.....while you work of course.

You being there week after week will go further (in the long run) than what you do to their lawn. Its sounds like you are doing well for yourself. In 2-4 years, you will not care or give a rats as$ who recognizes you.....you'll be too busy and at that point you would be kicking yourself in the butt for doing ANYTHING for free.

You stated that you would be hard pressed to get them to spend a dime for extras...what that means is, you ll be the first one dropped when the cheaper price comes along.

My advice: Cut the property and take from it what you can. The fact that you are cutting a comm. property will get you more biz than how it looks.

Oh yeah, do you need a license to spray chems? Huh?

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I would probably do the fert. and herbicide for free if they let you put up a sign or something (or is a sign even legal close enough to the road to be seen, I think there are rules about that in some places?).

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Throw some 34-0-0 on it and let the bermuda do it's thing. Cut it around 2" if it doesn't cause any harm to your mower. What weeds that do remain for awhile will at least be green weeds.

I'm not even going to comment on the "or maybe doing the whole shooting match for free" thing.:hammerhead:

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Give them a free handout? I dunno. They sound cheap, and will probably drop you as soon as the grass looks good from all the work you did. Then it will go back to looking like crap, people will remember your sign, and it will reflect badly on you.

I'd pass.

8. amos_moses

from AR

Point taken.

Not sure yet. Would need to check that.

Really? Why is that?

Why is that?

TIA

9. amos_moses

from AR

Exacty. I know squat about chems. I'd hire one of the professional outfits for that.

10. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Liquidfast said it all. why dont you letter your truck and park it on the lot or even on the grass for everyone to see.....while you work of course.

You being there week after week will go further (in the long run) than what you do to their lawn.

Sounds like the single best idea for making money, which is what we are all about. And it's free. (Almost. The truck signs, which you should have anyway.)