Please trim around the 41 new obstacles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower, Aug 15, 2004.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an account thats about an acre. Takes about 45 min from start to finish. Now the job takes over an hour. Reason: Between the gas, electric, and cable companies there are now 32 flags throughout the yard. When I got there on Friday 9 wood stakes have been added to make a new grand total of 41 objects to go around. The first 2 weeks I trimmed around all this crap, once the stakes arrived I said screw this and skipped trimming. Customer called and asked that I pick up the flags so that there isnt small patches of uncut grass. Looks like they are going to attempt some DYI project, who knows how long before they get motivated to actually do it. Do I tell her it will cost more, or just bite the bullet, they are good customers this is my second year with them and they always pay on time.
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i had a customer kind of like this, find the keyword in my response (hint: second word).
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would ask her, how long are flags going to be there? If she doesn't have a definte answer then tell them they have 2 weeks to do whatever there is to do or you will start to charge them extra.
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Only you know if its worth it. I would charge more if it took longer and if they would not be agreeable to that then we would part company. If you keep doing it with out at least saying something I will guarentee that in the future they will be expecting more freebies from you.

5. printer88

printer88 LawnSite Member

Sounds like a headache to me.Even if you move all that stuff,will you remember where the heck it goes back.You must charge more every time there is extra work.The customer should understand.If not move on to a yard that is'nt an obstacle course.
  6. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Send the gas, electric, and cable company a bill for trimming around there flags. lol
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not trim around em .... give em 2 than mow em over
  8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Your a solo operator...........surely your time doesn't matter and you won't lose a thing by trimming around an additional 41 nice and give that customer some freebies!!!

Wash their car while your'll be their friend forever!
  9. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

I read here to carry a can of paint, mark with the paint where the flags are, pull the flags, cut the lawn and then replace the flags.
  10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

JS- must of missed it but thanks for passing on the idea of the paint could come in handy someday. If I can rmember it then:D