1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Please vote and participate in this thread to win a Hustler jacket.

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by mowerconsultant, Mar 8, 2004.

Fixed or floating deck

Poll closed Mar 15, 2004.
  1. I want a fixed deck

16 vote(s)
  2. I want a floating deck and I would pay $100.00 more for it

20 vote(s)
  3. I want a floating deck and I would pay $200.00 more for it

43 vote(s)
  4. I want a floating deck and I would pay $300.00 more for it

28 vote(s)
  5. I want a floating deck and I would pay $400.00 more for it

40 vote(s)
  1. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Your input is needed.

We are looking at the possibility of building economically priced belt drive walk behinds.
    We are thinking about a 36” and a 48” version.
    We would like your input / opinion on the deck.
    Would you like to see a floating deck or a fixed deck, and would you pay the extra $ for a floating deck in lieu of a fixed deck ?
    Our intentions would be to build a floating deck or fixed deck, not both.
    Please vote in the poll above.
    If you vote fixed deck, please explain why you would choose a fixed deck over a floating deck (other than price) are there any advantages you see in the fixed deck ?
    If your voting for floating deck please select the additional $’s it would be worth to you at the time of purchase, and why you would choose a floating deck.
    I do not have any pricing, pictures or availability dates.
    Please cast your vote AND express your opinion in a brief post.
    I will leave this thread up for a week, at the end of the week I will draw a name for a Hustler jacket, from the list of poster's in this thread.

Also keep in mind we will introducing a new line of commercial hydro walk behinds this fall, with floating deck's, so please don't consider these unit's when voting.
    And of course we already have the Hustler WB's and Super WB's

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I started wiyh fix deck mowers 20 years ago. Now all my mowers have floating decks. I would pay 500.00 more for a floating deck mower.
  3. GrassInPA

GrassInPA LawnSite Member

I haven't been looking at wider than a 21" mower for a long time, but I definitely know I would want the 36". First of all just because of how easy it is to move and the second being able to fit in my truck.

As far as the deck, I picked floating because it's a lot easier to change the height with the floating and since that saves time, I'll be making more money.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'm considering adding another W.B. this year,but for me a W.B. is not a main mower it is an additional service provider.
    So for me it would be a fixed deck,belt drive to fill in the gaps.
    I'm sure there are plenty of others to disagree with me because of their use as a main mower........
    If I had to use it as a main mower it would be a hydro,floater.
    I'd only go a couple hundred more for the floater versus fixed.......there isn't that much difference mechanically.JMO.

I voted fixed deck.
  5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I would gladly pay $400 more for a floating deck walkbehind. I think floating decks are worth it, since you are less likely to scalp and they are usually easier to adjust the height.
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Hmmm, I posted and it dissapeared.

Any way,I don't use W.B.'s as main mowers but they do have there use for us.Because they are not main mowers I go fixed deck,belt drive.
    If I were to use them as main mowers they would be hydro,floaters and I'd only be willing to pay 200 extra for the floater.there just isn't that much difference mechanically. JMO.
  7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The MFG forums are moderated, the moderator of each MFG's forum must release the posts.
    I generally release them as I get the notification that there are some to be released.

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I would only pay an extra $100 for a floater on the smaller size decks

9. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

i fell bad even bringing this up my wife and i demoed a hustler aprox. 3yrs ago were suppose to get a hat dealer in alachua florida he said they never sent him hats. feel bad bring it up:( :(
  10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We have both at this time, floating and fixed.
    When I asked Matt about this thread, before he even saw what the choices were or what anyone else had said, he said, "I'd pay more than $500.00 for a floating deck."
    I'll cast a vote for the highest choice in the poll.