Please vote what would you do in this situation.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Apr 9, 2004.

?

What would you do?

1. Go back, blow out leaves and mow back again?

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Cut my losses and learn not to bicker with price and make sure all work is outlined first.

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  3. Tell her to just make a payment of what she thinks its worth.

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. Option #2 and get revenge!!

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. None of the above.

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I get a call for mowing. I look at it and estimate $32.50. She calls and tells me that her guy before did it for $30 and did not use a steel blade. Me...I will match his price and use a steel blade. I mulch mow. Her...Sounds good. I call her the day I am going to do the work and tell her since it was so high I will collect (actually I still had my collecting deck on the Walker and didnt want to swap decks for one lawn). I go there collect the front with the Walker, the back I just mulched since I could not get the Walker through the deck. She calls back refusing to pay unless I come back since I did not collect the back, like I said I would do. Keep in mind that the orginal agreement was to mulch and I only said I would collect the morning before I did the job. The back looked good, but when I trimmed along the fence line, where there we leaves collected, it threw the leaves out into the lawn. Also in the corner of the lawn were a pile of leaves that I ran over with the mower, but again, I did not collect them, since it was not in the orginal agreement.

What would you do? I have not called her back yet. I have already decided that I do not want this lady for the season. She wants a 10 day schedule that I already told her I refused to do. I told her I would agee to a bi-weekly mow for $30. She said she could afford $90 a month and that was it. Collecting the fron, mowing the back and getting an edge (which there was a lot) started took me an hour. No way am I doing this for $30 an hour. I just want my money this time and the hell with her for the rest of the season.

2. peewee

peewee LawnSite Member

Walker-talker, I would go back, fix the problem, charge her what you agreed the price would be, then say sorry but I am downsizing and won't be able to fit your job in. Give the lunatic a reference and never go back.

3. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I agree with peewee. If you somehow got the leaves back on the lawn, then I would clean them up.

4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

from my experience... never tell them ahead of time that you are doing something that they will view as a free extra (collect clippings), always do it first then tell them why (make sure it is not a reason that they can hold you to the next time the same conditions exist, in other words you have set yourself up for always collecting when the grass is high.)

In your example the only reason you collected was cause it was to your convenience (I've done the same thing myself). Since this was the case you should have just went about your business and not said anything.

Now for your poll... None of the above. You should go back to her place, do what you "said" you were going to do when you talked to her, AND collect the agreed amount, then PROFESSIONALLY cancel the account if it is not profitable.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i agree with remsen, u put your foot in your mouth. i've done it before. it's only $32, go back, run over the backyard, suck up the leaves, if u don't want her, wait till the check clears, then call her and say adios

6. harley29710

harley29710 LawnSite Member

Hey, I'm new at this but I know that we don't have much in this life if we don't have the honor of our word.
    Good luck with this one.

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

What???? What sense does that make? You agreed earlier to mulch. Then before you did the work, you agreed to collect. Right then and there, you cancelled the old agreement and created a new agreement. You should keep your word. I can't even believe you're asking this.

See, this is really you're problem. You weren't honest with her. You didn't switch to collecting because you were "so high." You switched because you wanted to be lazy. Which is bad enough by itself. But it wouldn't have been so bad if you had just told the truth. But to make matters worse, you tell her that the reason you're collecting is because your price is "so high". Now you've compounded your problem in two ways.

1) You've agreed that your prices were a little too high when your prices were probably fair. And now she's thinking, "Yah, you were a little too high!"

2) You've told her that you'll make it up to her by adding an additional service - collecting. Now you've agreed to do something you didn't really want to.

Then later you add a 3rd problem by not following through with your 'additional service' - collecting. She was feeling a little better about paying more because she felt she was going to get more. Then you change the deal on her and now she feels she's getting screwed. And you wonder why???? You gotta be kidding me!

Honesty is always the best policy. I am not trying to come off as holy-er than thou. I am not perfect either. But I try my darndest to never tell a lie to anyone - no matter how small. There almost never a need for it. And lying always comes back to haunt you.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

You spoiled her by collecting the front. It looked too good and she wanted the same for the back. Its hard to get away with mulching for me this time of year because there isn't enough heat to quickly get rid of the clippings. (I am not mowing yet anyway)

What did you use to do her backyard if you couldn't get the Walker back there? I know it may be a PITA but is there a possibility of you taking the deck off and driving the Walker thru the gate and then putting the deck on and collecting? I think the Walker is 30", tire to tire without a deck. I know its time but if it saves you from further hassles then it may be worth it. I have to agree that you have to go back and take your medicine on this one. Yep, its a loser and shes probably a goofball but you don't want her to slam your name around to whoever she knows.

Be as nice as you can keeping in mind that she can screw your reputation up but also explain to her that you are unable to continue maintenance on her property and you will refer her to someone else. You have to be inventive but relatively honest when she asks why. Something like, your property is more than a one person operation can do at a cost effective price.
    Get your money, cut your losses and take it as a learning experience. I've been there. Good Luck.

9. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Simply put.....I hate leaving anyone on bad terms. I would do what it takes to leave her some what happy. I do agree, however, she would be a huge PITA customer. Count your losses.

10. gramps

gramps LawnSite Member

I would not leave a job looking bad. A few minuets can bring results. ie $$$